Thursday, June 25, 2009

"The ideal home.....

...is one in which the family may be most completely sheltered to develop in love, graciousness and individuality, and which is at the same time most accessible to friends, toward whom hospitality is as unconscious and spontaneous as it is abundant. Emerson says that the ornament of a house in the friends who frequent in."
~Charles Keeler, The Simple Home

"Homemaking is one of the sacred tasks of life, for the home is the family temple, consecrated to the service of parents and offspring. As the strength of the state is founded upon family life, so is the strength of society based upon the home. The building of the home should be an event of profound importance."
~Charles Keeler

Each day at my home is another day where I attempt to make it more comfortable for my family and anyone who stops by. I truly enjoy homemaking and being home with my children. Although...I do find that sometimes I lack really "playing" with my children. Sure we read and play games at times...and of course we homeschool...I am with my children often...however...I think sometimes I forget to focus on enjoying these young years. The time passes by so quickly. Even though I know this....I still find myself just trying to get through each day....of course, I enjoy my life....but we all have struggles in some way or another. Some days the kids argue and bicker so much that I don't know if I could stand it! Some days go super well and I internally criticize myself for ever feeling flustered on the bad days. Does/has anyone else ever feel/felt that way?
I *do* really try to constantly remind myself that our lives are but a vapor. In the blink of an eye...kids grow and change....babies are born, people die. There is a season to every purpose under Heaven. I don't want to just make it through my days....I want to *enjoy* them. I would love to hear if anyone else struggles with this....and if anyone has ideas on how they stay focused on the simple things and make each moment count.

I do try to homemake and decorate my home in a simple....yet enjoyable way. I can sit and really just relax in my home or in my yard. Of course, there are many things that are still a *work in progress* or aren't even started yet....but I do attempt daily to just look at my surroundings and enjoy the blessings provided...the flowers in bloom...my children playing outside....the look of a neat yard (I just love when a yard is neat and pretty)....etc. I will prayerfully thank God for the blessings I am given....but like I said previously....when the children start fighting or I have one of "those" days where everything goes wrong etc....I just try and make it through the day. I guess I shouldn't expect each day to be perfect...but I do want to change my way of thinking...that whether it is a good or bad day....it IS a day that the Lord has made.....Let me rejoice and be GLAD in it!

Below is a picture of the walkway I have been putting together with stones from my mom. She had them but the decided to do a different look with her garden areas...and let me have the square stones.....so I have been working on this....a way for guests to get to our back door. :)

On a more serious note....my FIL (father in law) had a heart attack the other night. Chris and I were out working on the walkway pictured above when he got a call from his dad on the cell phone. His dad wasn't feeling well and needed Chris to come right down (we live only a quarter mile or so away from them). Chris's dad has had heart troubles previously...so Chris new this wasn't good and hurried down.....long story short...they took him to a local hospital and then transferred him to another hospital with a good heart specialty dept. He had to have a catheritization done and 3 stents put in. He is still in the hospital now. I worked at the family meat market yesterday....as did Chris and his brother. Chris's sister and mom went to the hospital to be with my FIL and wait while tests and the cath was done. We have a busy weekend coming up too...with the wagon train coming that I mentioned previously in another post. Prayers are much appreciated. I am already so thankful for the prayers and loving concern of many family and friends. We continue to pray that he will heal well and not suffer any problems because of this.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me. :)


15 comments:

  1. First of all, I just said a prayer for your FIL. Keep us posted!

    I struggle the same way at times - I think all moms do. For me, constant prayer is the only way to not get completely frustrated. Also, don't be too hard on yourself and know that all kids have "those" days.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy~

    I think I can relate to this desire to get through the days in peace with one another and I believe doing just like you do.... that making it through the day walking with the Lord that we have done our best. I guess w/o the fights we would have no chance to practice forgiveness.

    Maybe try a pillow fight in place of squabbles or a run down the drive way??? Just some ideas.
    I am always looking for ways to redirect energy, especially the negative kind. May God give you much wisdom for you know your wee ones best. And maybe just smile or even laugh out loud as you look up at God who see it all..He will laugh with you and when they fight, your smile, laughter or just your trust in God that I know you have will envelope the moment, then you through Christ sweetness will change the moment.

    I like to read about you and your simply wonderful life. I enjoy your blog and your life has inspired me to live the simplicity my heart desires too.

    May the Lord strengthen your FIL's heart with health, power and balance. I am so glad you live close by!

    My prayer for you is that no matter what happens you will smile everyday. B/c you have a lovely smile.

    Smiles, Angelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your FIl! I hope and pray that he is home and feeling well soon.

    I have the same struggles from time to time. You are so not alone! I just try to take it one day and sometimes one minute at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayer for your FIL--God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definately pray for your FIL and your family!
    Hang in there...All will work out!
    Your walkway looks wonderful...a wonderful way for guests to come to the back door.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your home. I always enjoy seeing pictures of your home and family. I hope your FIL recovers quickly.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your walkway! I will keep your FIL in my prayers and hang in there ~ tomorrow is a new day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you need anything else just let me know. We are praying for you father-in-law. Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry about your father in law!!
    It's hard to find a balance in life isn't it? Some days we jsut have to make it a day to relax with the chidlren....otherwise it may never happen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy - I can COMPLETELY relate to your thoughts on mothering. I could have written this post! I find that motherhood can be a very overwhelming and, at times, guilt-laden calling. However, there are so many moments of peace and contentment and knowing that I'm doing exactly what God wants me to do at this time in my life. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with these emotions.

    On another note, I'll keep you FIL and family in my prayers.

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy,
    Boy do I have those days...feel terrible when I do, but being with three kids under 6 and homeschooling can be hard. But I have to remember this is MY mission field right now, and pray to be content where and with what God has given us. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very well said! We'll be praying for your father in law. Also you offered to help me change my blog background and I commented back to you on "my" blog...Sonya said thats not how it works..sorry...I'll figure this "blogging" out soon!
    God bless you Adam C
    Psalms 37

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will be praying also for your father in law.....mine went to be with the Lord about 19 years ago..a lovely man who we still miss.

    all moms struggle at times, we are only human and kids bicker, they are only human too...don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too prayed for your fil.

    I too find that I forget to enjoy my children in all the work of homemaking and homeschooling and trying to discipline and train them.

    Thanks for the reminder to keep trying.

    I'll be praying for both of us!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to have read this so late but I hope your FIL is doing better. And I will write more about the focusing on the day rather than the day's duties in my next letter.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy