Thursday, May 14, 2009

Double Yolkers

The *girls* have been keeping me busy...collecting and washing eggs. I can't tell you how fantastic fresh eggs are! One of the girls tends to lay bigger eggs....alot of them end up to be double yolkers. I am not sure if that is the "technical term" or not...but that is what we call them when they end up having 2 yolks inside! I washed one and put it between 2 normal sized eggs above....see the crazy difference in size?? Most of the cartons I put eggs into have a hard time staying closed because they have at least one of these *super eggs*! :)


This is how many I washed the other day...almost 2 dozen. We get between 10-12 eggs a day usually. I wash the eggs daily or sometimes every other day. I can't even tell you how much I enjoy the fresh eggs!

The other evening, the girls were out free ranging a bit and I was out by them and Chris was burning some paper stuff. One of the girls was acting really weird and I got so worried...so I called Chris over and we kinda watched her together...unsure of what was wrong with her...then all of a sudden she squats down a bit (she was standing before) and out pops an egg!!! LOL It was hilarious. Then she was fine. Like a load had been lifted (or, in this case, layed)! Usually the girls lay late morning or so....so this happening in the evening was quite a surprise...and in the middle of the yard...LOL!

Staying busy here at our house! Schooling, cleaning and normal daily things....plus, my sister is getting married in 9 days so we are all getting ready for that celebration! :) Hope you all are doing well. Thank you for stopping by! :)



18 comments:

  1. WOW that must have been a sight to see.. your chicken laying an egg right before your eyes! Have a glorious weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post took me right back to my childhood! When we lived in England, we would go every Saturday morning to a local farm and collect eggs. Almost every one was a double yolk and so fresh. I'd love to have a couple of chickens but unfortunately, we're in a residential area that doesn't permit chickens.

    Looking forward to seeing pictures of your sister's wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Katy! I'd LOVE to have our own chickens. We had chickens when I was a little girl and I loved everything about it. We definitely have the room on our place for them, but Darrell's not so sure about what all it involves. I may email you with some questions if you don't mind!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny about the girl laying in the yard! How many chickens do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The eggs look yummy. Good luck with the wedding.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta give you a recipe for a egg casserole type thing. :)

    I think that is so neat! Both the double yolker and you and Chris seeing the chicken lay the egg. Ha!

    Good luck to Devon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, Katy, thats so funny, you do get a lot of eggs, and I love those double yokers, like I told you we've only had a few, thats awesome. I told Eric we need to let ours graze and just deal with the dogs and hope for the best. It makes for a nice little business and the kids love it. Both of my children have already been asking when you are coming back with your kids. We had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. goodness, fresh eggs, thats so nice..
    have a great weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I came over to visit when I read your description on one of the blogger 'follower' thingys...ANYWAY..... :)
    Love your blog!!!! That is so neat about the chickens...I wish I could have animals like that!

    Have a great weekend
    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet that was funny, Katy! Did I tell you that I'm pretty sure I have my hubby convinced to get some chickens! With the way things are these days, we want to become a little more self sufficient. We have some chick coop plans that Lea gave me and hopefully, this will take place! I may be asking you stuff! I can only imagine having fresh eggs! Yay!

    Have a great weekend!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was fun catching up with you, love the fresh eggs, sure do miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful eggs and double yolkers Katy! I couldn't agree more; there just isn't nothin better!
    I so love having chickens around. They are so comical and sure put alot of smiles on my face. We turn ours out during the day too and then they go roost at night and we close the door behind them at night.

    Have a great weekend!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your eggs look great....you are right...fresh eggs are the best!! Cute story about your chicken! Hope you have a sweet Sunday and don't forget to stop in and visit me sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so awesome that you get to have fresh eggs every day!!I would LOVE to have chickens!!
    That`s too funny abut one of your girls laying an egg like that!
    Hope your having a blessed Lord`s day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love fresh eggs too! A coworker sometimes surprises me with a half dozen occasionally. They are sure welcomed! Hope you're having a lovely week! ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen a hen lay outside of their nest. That would of been a sight to see. We to get double yolkers from our hens. The children always want to be the one to crack that egg, and laugh every time.
    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like your country, homeschooling, Jesus-loving mama blog! We raised 7 baby chicks in a brooder this spring & we call them "the girls" as well. They are now outside in their chicken yard. I expect they will start laying around August. This has been soooo much fun & we're loving every minute of being a chicken family ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found you at another site. We have ducks, you should see those double yolks. Any roosters? We have a drake, so you will find a fertilized one now and again. I am glad not to have found anything developed. Eew. The blood spot is enough, but someone told me those eggs are healthier. (shrugs)

    What do you do with your excess. So far, we just give them away. We get 4 a day and cannot keep up. Maybe if we actually eat eggs for breakfast.

    It was nice meeting you and I hope you have a restful Lord's day.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy