Monday, August 29, 2016

Homemaking: Freezing Sweet Corn (How-To)


Saturday, after working out in the morning, I spent the next few hours processing sweet corn! I had two bushels to do! The children shucked all the corn for me...



While they brought them in, I had water boiling inside the house. I put the corn in the pot and brought it to a rolling boil again...


 Immediately, after boiling the ears for three minutes, into ice water they went...


This is called blanching the corn. Next, I took the corn off the cobs using a tool I have from Pampered Chef (but really, any sharp knife will do....I've done it that way too before)...


Label freezer bags so you know exactly what is in there when you go to take the corn out of the freezer in the future...


Using a measuring a cup, I scooped the kernels into the bags...


Finished!


From all those ears of corn (8 dozen) this was all that came from it...


I know it seems like a lot of work for such a small amount of corn...but come winter, it will taste delicious to include this sweet corn with suppers!

Freezing corn can be a bit tedious...but it is not difficult. If you have a chance, I highly encourage you to try it! You can't beat that fresh corn taste in the middle of winter (with feet of snow outside)! :) I have also canned corn before ~ but I prefer the taste of frozen sweet corn more! :)

If you have any questions...please feel free to comment here or email me! I would be happy to help!
The sun is shining here today....I taught spin this morning, homeschooled the rest of the morning and soon, we'll be at the swimming pool with friends! :) I hope your day is grand! Thanks so much for visiting!

Cheerfully,
Katy

Linked up at: Strangers & Pilgrims

6 comments:

  1. You can't beat the taste of home processed corn. Nothing in the store can compare. Hope you have a fun afternoon swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a blessing to have that much! I enjoyed reading your post! Thanks for sharing it. I am following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a lot of corn to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! Nothing tastes as good as sweet corn in the middle of winter. Mmm! You and the children will surely enjoy the fruits of your labor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we had a bigger freezer, I'd love to make freezer corn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Katy,

    Most years I can several quarts AND freeze several bags of whole kernel and on the cob. The canning portions generally come about in an effort to save freezer space.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy