Wednesday, July 17, 2013

*Simply Summer*


“It is desirable that a man live in all respects so simply and preparedly that if an enemy take the town... he can walk out the gate empty-handed and without anxiety.” 
~Henry David Thoreau, Walden


It has been incredibly hot here this week. We have been trying to beat the heat with swimming, staying cool under ceiling fans and spending time playing games and doing chores in my bedroom (ironing becomes quite delightful when done in an air conditioned room!). The children often camp out to sleep in our room on hot nights since it is much cooler in there. 

Laundry, hanging out on the clotheslines, has soaked in the sunshine to dry...although on some of the humid days, the clothes don't fully dry no matter how long I leave them out there! I love how after stripping the beds, washing and hanging out the sheets and quilts, and then re-making the beds, they smell like that beautiful summertime air! There are few things so delightful as pressing your face into a fresh-from-the-lines pillowcase or quilt! It instantly brings a smile to my face and a prayer of thankfulness to God for His goodness. Simple, little things are often the most easily ignored but truly the most wonderful! :)


Xavier has begun his banjo lessons (A huge thank-you to Grammie and Pop-Pop who made this possible!) and practices every day! He is doing a great job and we all really enjoy hearing the banjo being played! We're fans of bluegrass here! :) I love to see his excitement for it and hope it continues!


As I said previously in this post, chores done in a nice, cool room are most-enjoyable on a sweltering day. I spent some time ironing while the children played and did some reading in my room...


It's late (for me) and I really must head to bed. But quickly, I just wanted to share with you THIS post by Ann...it's another good one! I hope your summer days are being spent well...working hard yet finding time to rest and stay cool amongst the *busy*. 

Warmly,
Katy

6 comments:

  1. Hi Katy, I love to iron! And I always wanted to play the Banjo. I have been getting dizzy when on the computer so I have had to cut down to only 20 min at a time. Happy Summer!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to iron, too, Katy. Especially my pillow cases and other flat pieces. It is nice to see you here and it sounds like you are having a good summer. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about ironing that brings kids to a mom's room? I remember hanging out on my mom's bed when she would iron. Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy! I love the smell of sheets/quilts/blankets fresh from the line! Love seeing your chickens! This is our first year raising layers. So great that Xavier is learning to play the banjo. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot and humid here in SD too!

    I totally miss hanging things on the line, loved the smell! We took ours out 8 years ago and never replaced it :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banjo lessons!? How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy