Wednesday, July 24, 2013

"The reading of all good books...

...is like conversation with the finest men of the past centuries."
~Descartes


When time permits I find my nose in a book. I read the Scriptures daily...for there is so much to glean from them...I can never get enough. I am always highlighting or underlining important things and I am quite afraid that soon, I will have my whole Bible highlighted! :) Isn't it beautiful how the Old Testament points to Christ? 

"...let me serve my God with all my heart; let me be a follower of Jesus and walk in His footsteps."
~ Charles Spurgeon


I am also reading (and almost finished with) this:


Oh how this book causes me to reflect on my own reverence, wonder, love, and awe of Christ. I fall so terribly short in giving Him the worship, praise and admiration that He deserves. Sarah's love for Christ was absolutely amazing! Reading this book has caused me to pray "Lord, please help me love you more".


"Sink or swim, I go to Him; other hope I have none."
~ Charles Spurgeon

I also am reading The Essential Works of Charles Spurgeon. I just happened to be in our Christian bookstore yesterday (which mostly seems to carry things I would *not* consider good Christian theology...like books by Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer and other such authors). But, in God's beautiful providence, I found this book of Spurgeon which delighted me extensively! It's a super-thick book with around 1400 pages so it cost a little more than I would normally spend on a book. I called Chris to see if he would mind and he gave me the *go-ahead* to buy it! I am on page 44 and soaking it all in! It has his sermons, writings and parts of his autobiography! A gem of a book, truly!

"I deserve to be lost forever. The only reason why I should not be damned is that Christ was punished in my stead, and there is no need to execute a sentence twice for sin. On the other hand, I know I cannot enter heaven unless I have a perfect righteousness. I am absolutely certain I shall never have one of my own, for I find I sin every day. But then Christ had a perfect righteousness, and He said, 'There, poor sinner, take my garment, and put it on; you shall stand before God as if you were Christ, and I will stand before God as if I had been the sinner; I will suffer in the sinner's stead, and you shall be rewarded for works that you did not do, but which I did for you.'
~ Charles Spurgeon

And now, I must go. Xavier and I already practiced his banjo together this morning...now he and Jax are going to race their bikes and I am invited to watch. Then I have clothes to hang out on the lines (as the day is suppose to be beautiful!) and maybe some more canning to do (as I have already started doing some this week). Housework (as always) will need done too! So off I go to live another day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad in it! Will you? 
Warmly,
Katy

11 comments:

  1. Your pictures make me think of a cozy, happy home. The books you are reading are incredible. Thank you for mentioning them. I will look for the one by Sarah Edwards!

    Blessings
    Mrs. White
    The Legacy of Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Beautiful Day it is today here in the Midwest! Windows are open, and the household chores are about to begin! I am so very Thankful that I am not the only one that thinks books from people like Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyers, etc are NOT good Christian books!! I will be looking for the 2 books that you mentioned you are reading! I hope everyone had a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by to see all in your neighborhood. Thanks for all the lovely and inspiring posts & reading suggestions. I am very interested in your two selections today.
    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy, it is so refreshing to read your posts. You are such a beautiful woman of God. It is inspiring to see you reading about true Christ followers and not all the fluff, pop culture Christianity books. May God continue to bless you and your family...Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Some heavy reading! :) I really enjoy Charles Spurgeon. Did you know that he struggled with depression? God has used Spurgeon's struggle with depression as a testimony in my life as I also struggle (and am medicated) for depression. The Sarah Edwards book sounds great as well. I always appreciate a book that speaks of the faith of those who have gone before us. Have a blessed evening, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I stole a few minutes to find solace in your beautiful music and words. Thank you. I've long had an interest in Sarah Edwards. She was Jonathon Edwards' wife was she not?

    Blessings,
    Laura
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings, I hope your green beans were those stringless ones. Gosh we bought some one year from the farm down the way a few years back. It was so much work!
    I have been working on my spare bedroom the last couple of days. changing it from browns and beige colors to pink and more pink.
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I ask you why you believe Joyce Meyer's books are not suitable for Christians? Thanks. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of me listing numerous things, here is a link to CARM and it details why she is not a biblical teacher! :)

      http://carm.org/joyce-meyer

      Delete
    2. Thank you Katy, xx

      Delete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy