Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Here I am ~ wanting to go on vacation...

...and then there is THIS from Ann. Have you read it? I did...tears streamed steadily and abundantly down my face as I did so. How I long to love...truly love...with a Christ-like, selfless, pure love. 

My family never goes on vacation. Usually, that is just fine by me because the idea of all the preparation and planning (and money) that goes into it exhausts me! But lately, after viewing photos of friends enjoying the beach ~ I have thought how lovely that would be...to be out on the beach, enjoying the warm sun or out in the mountains, camping and hiking. Somewhere quiet and relaxing. I hang my head as I admit, some discontent found its way into my thoughts (embarrassing, but true). 

I don't always read Ann's posts. But this one, I did. It tore my heart into a thousand pieces. How selfish I am...utterly, terribly selfish. I am ashamed. In the photo, at the top of her post, the little girl in the white and yellow dress? I just want to gather her in my arms and hug her. Don't you?

May I abandon my selfishness and embrace true Christ-like behavior. May this Katie in Uganda be a true example to this Katy. God is breaking me and making me...over and over. He is teaching me and guiding me through His Word and the godly behavior of others. Katie Davis, Amy Carmichael, Sarah Edwards, Susannah Wesley, Elisabeth Elliot, {and more} as well as beautiful people in my life here around home have encouraged me in my walk as I learn from their experience and wisdom. 


May I instill a love for Jesus, others and godly womanhood in this precious girl of mine...



Always persevering, in light of His incredible love and grace, 
Katy




It's all about Jesus Christ being first....
and second and third and fourth and fifth. 
 What I'm saying is, don't put Jesus first.
 Jesus is everything. 
 He's not just first in the rank, 
He is everything. 
~Paul Washer

8 comments:

  1. Beautifully written!!! My friend and I were at church discussing this same topic. Everyone about this time talks about going to florida or the carribean, etc. and they will ask where you are going. My friend and I are stay at home moms and have one car. I tried to encourage her, telling her to look at vacation in another way. To sit on the porch with a cold drink, or on a blanket soaking up the sun in her back yard, camping at a local lake, packing a dinner and going down to the local lake, reading a book under the shade tree could be mini vacations. It's choosing to stop the chaos and just be. Isn't that what we do? Stop the housework, phone calls, laundry,and go enjoy each other and different scenery. Also, praying about it. God does do amazing things when we ask. He knows or desire for rest.
    Have a blessed relaxing day Katy!

    Ps. Because of your weight loss journey, I have started mine. I am down 15 lbs. Woo hoo. I am feeling so much better.
    In Christ,
    Teresa in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Teresa :).
      I won't be truly relaxing anytime soon...lots to do...but I know my true *rest* is found in Him.

      Congratulations on losing 15 lbs! How wonderful! :)

      Warmly,
      Katy

      Delete
  2. Tongue in cheek: I just ordered Katie's book to read while on vacation next week. My morning time has been consumed by jumping from topic to topic at the Compassion website. Thanks for opening my eyes to 'the world' today. The world is not just our little neighborhood. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you will let me know what you thought of it! I hope to get it soon to read as well! :)

      Delete
  3. Katy i have just read your link to katie in uganda, i fell inlove with the little girl nancy in her torn purple dress. My husband louie wants us to go holiday but to be honest it does not seem to appeal to me now that our children have left home.Your posts are still a great inspiration to me. Best wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a beautiful post, Katy. I think that most American women struggle with discontentment and such. I know I do at times. I think you are doing an absolutely wonderful job at being a godly wife and mother! Your family is blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls and I read "Kisses From Katie" and we loved it!!! She is amazing!! I read this post by Ann and had tears streaming down my face....oh to always have a heart that focuses on what's eternal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. Word. I found your blog looking for advice on country life...and am bowled over by this post...I read the linked post and I, too, am humbled. Here I am, planning a vacation in two weeks and looking forward to planning a family move in a few months, and thinking of my own needs, while this wonderful young woman has taken the needs of others as her own responsibility. Thank you for sharing this, it is absolutely pushing me to reconsider where our money will be going, and where our hearts should be!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy