Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Bit of the Country Life

I know some of you may not live in the country...so I thought I would bring a little of our *country living* to you! 

Home (a continual work-in-progress ~ still working on finishing the siding and such) always full of love and coziness...




Our meat hens are growing quickly! They have lost their baby fluff and are now getting their feathers...they are truly less-than-beautiful at this point...



Chris got the tractor out and ready to plow between our rows of veggies in the big garden...


In the garden, our corn, green beans and potatoes are growing wonderfully! My mother-in-love's veggies are doing well too! With all the rain we have been getting, I was worried...but thankfully, the Lord saw fit to give us times of sunshine in between the rainy spells...so everything is doing well. It's as if He is watering our garden for us! Such a blessing!




Bike riding always happens down at the big garden (there are numerous bikes there that my in-loves have found at yard sales over time....the children just find one that fits their size, regardless of color!)...



Chris adjusting the plow...


Jaxson...


And there he goes...




Xavier (Look Mom! No hands!)...


 Penny, Pearl and Gyro...cuddled together out of the rain...


***And...here is something I am so excited to share. This is a proud wife moment. To some it may be *no big deal* but to me, it is fantastic...


My chicks (that I am raising to be layers) were growing out of their temporary box home. They were flying out and standing along the edges of the box. Chris (wonderful, innovative, talented man that he is) built this fantastic chicken box! 


The top has two "lids" you can lift...made with chicken wire and hinged in the middle.


Isn't it just perfect? Once my layers have grown some more and are fully-feathered, they will move in with our other hens in the regular coop...then Chris can order more meat chickens and house them in here while they are little. 


Look how pretty they are becoming. They're getting darker feathers mixed with white ones!


They are so funny to watch! Look at that darker one, below! It's mid-run!


“A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor — such is my idea of happiness.” 
~Leo Tolstoy

Hope you are enjoying your week! Thank you for visiting!

Warmly,
Katy

6 comments:

  1. Katy- There is nothing like a country life. I grew up on a dairy farm and sometimes I really miss the serenity of the life I had as a child. Your family is blessed. Love the chickens- I so remember getting a box of them delivered several times over the years- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are enjoying our chicks too. They grow fast! We're considering getting meat chickens too. What breed did you chose? Researching to see what we want to try. I've heard Freedom Rangers are good.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the box, Chris! Something sturdy that will last you years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like country life, I have JUST moved to the country and am in heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love hearing about your life in the country! I am also in the country but have different animals so it's fun to hear about yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have a beautiful home, love all the flowers..it seems quiet and lovely there..

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy