Thursday, January 7, 2010

"Winter is the time for comfort, ...

...for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire:it is the time for home."
~ Edith Sitwell


The winter is hitting us hard here in PA (as it is through most of the country). It's terribly cold out and we are getting lots of snow. The kids are thrilled though! After schooling each day...they anxiously dress in their snowpants, boots, hats, coats and gloves and hurry outside to play! Some schools have *snow days* when the weather makes the travelling too dangerous for the buses to pick the kids of the district up for school. My kids have snow days everyday in the winter! After helping with some chores and after finishing all their schoolwork for the day....they have lots of daylight left to play! I believe children need that play time!


I work on my housework inside (as I am not a huge fan of the freezing snow ;) I think I would consider going out if I had some snow pants and good snow boots though...the kids sure do have a lot of fun! After housework is finished or between chores, I sit and work on my knitting......


I do some baking and preparing for supper.....


and I spend time in God's Word and in prayer.....

After staying out as long as they can....the kids come tumbling in the house...faces red and cold...shedding snowpants and hats and gloves all over the floor as they come in. (I keep reminding them to hang/lay things over the heater vents so they will dry and warm up for the next time they want to go out). Hot chocolate warms us them through and soon, they happily agree to have rest/quiet time. Although they always claim they "aren't tired"....soon they are each snoring away....dreaming of snowmen and sledding. :)

The other evening...we got out a game the kids received for Christmas, Disney Pixar Monopoly. Jaxson was having a sleepover at grammie's house...so it was just Chris, Madelyn, X and me. X can't read yet...so Chris was letting him help him...but X soon got bored with that and went to snuggle in on the recliner in the living room.


I am a huge fan of games. I love to play them! We had a lot of fun playing, laughing and talking!

We put a time limit on our game...otherwise, if any of you have played Monopoly...you will know it can take hours to completely finish. So we ended at 8pm. We added up all our money and properties. Chris ended up winning. :)


I hope your winter is being well spent. :) I hope your time at home is being enjoyed by each person in your family....because remember:

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

"A good home must be made, not bought."
~Joyce Maynard

"Home ought to be our clearinghouse, the place from which we go forth lessoned and disciplined, and ready for life."
~Kathleen Norris

"Home, the spot of earth supremely blest, A dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest."
~Robert Montgomery

"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort."
~Jane Austen

11 comments:

  1. I love watching the children play in the snow. I'm with you on game night. We love to play games but Monopoly is NOT my favorite. We played this new game the kids got called "APPLES TO APPLES" and it was a hoot! I am glad to see young parents enjoying their kids so much. You have a very nice family there! You can be proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playing games is so much fun! Megan is starting to get into them. We have been playing UNO Moo and Go Fish often. Hi Ho Cherry O is another fun one.

    We are getting snow today and having cold temps. I hear it will be below zero this weekend. Snuggling up at home is the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maddy loves to play WAR and Slap Jack!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're spending our cold winter days a lot like you are (minus the snow!)It has been unusually cold for Tennessee.

    I love that Joyce Maynard quote - so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its been a while since I've checked in with your blog as I took a long blogging break before starting my new blog. Its nice to see that things are all well and good with your family! I've enjoyed catching up!.

    Happy New Year!
    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a 61 yeat old woman that has in the past homeschooled 5 children. We had a happy christian family, much like yours. I love to read your blog because it reminds me of myself. My husband (now 63) used to haul wood and chop it for the wood fires. we lived near Winston Salem NC. Our family is grown and all five of em are married and we have 10 grandchildren. We moved to the Beach (coast of NC) 5 years ago. We have a good life now, but the fun times were the days you are living now. Thanks for letting me relive a lot of those times through your posts.
    Thanks for sharing, Donna
    dlynnl9757@atmc.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet post. It's been in the uppper 20's here in the big TX. More cold than our bodies are use too, that's for sure. Patty and I chatted on the phone for a bit today, I was telling her how I don't quite know what to wear on days like these. LOL

    Hugs. Ttys

    ReplyDelete
  8. youre children are so adorable, its good to see kids at play..
    what knitting project are you working on?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just discovered your blog and really enjoyed it. I was a stay at home Mom in the 70's and 80's when it really wasn't that popular and now a stay at home grandmother for my grandchildren. You've got the right idea! visit me at "simple pleasures"

    ReplyDelete
  10. oH HOW I loved your pictures Katy!
    Yall just have the most wonderful family! I was tryin to "spot my yarn" in the knittin basket. lol Guess it's all hanging on my cupboard! lololol Im still grinning!
    Have a wonderful evening!
    Bet that spurgeon book is a dandy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post! I have a hard time when the weather gets cold or rainy! I don't know why! Very encouraging though!! I love Harold B. Lee's quote (he was once a leader in my church!)! It's true that nothing is more important than what you do INSIDE your home!! Thank you for being so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy