Monday, January 18, 2010

Savoring Moments

"I don't care how poor a man is; if he has family, he's rich."
~Dan Wilcox

"The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family."
~Thomas Jefferson

"Our most basic instinct is not for survival but for family. Most of us would give our own life for the survival of a family member, yet we lead our daily life too often as if we take our family for granted."
~Paul Pearshall

"There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the most dominating virtues of human society, are created, strengthened and maintained."
~Winston Churchill





I love being a stay at home mama. That is what I always wanted to be. Sure...at times, when I was young, I dreamed of being a marine biologist or a vet. I dreamed of being a teacher and caretaker. I think, being a mother, I have been enabled to envelope each of those dreams. Although my children aren't marine animals ;) ...they *do* like to swim! Homeschooling fulfills my dreams of teaching and caretaker....that word is synonymous with "mother". As for a vet....I take care of boo-boos and such on my lil *animals* and any time one of our pets is hurt...I switch into *pet* nurse. :) When our dog had puppies....I was there. It was beautiful (messy....yet the miracle of life is just beautiful as well!).

One thing I never realized, though, when dreaming of being a mother was the moments of exhaustion, the squabbles that needed correcting and disciplining....the times of dissapointment when your child behaves in a way you don't approve of. It can make one wish time away....to just hurry and get through a phase or look forward to bedtime.

Through this journey of being a wife and mother, I am slowly learning how to try and savor each moment....*use* each moment to teach a lesson to my children...and perhaps even learn a lesson myself. Parenting isn't easy....correcting *some* behavior while still letting your little ones be able to express themselves and their sweet personalities and characteristics that are unique and special to each one.

My Xavier is a jokester. He has such a fun and adventurous personality. He can be the life of the group (although he still can be so shy at times!)....He likes to tease and be silly. He likes to laugh and be funny. I love his character. (And I must say...my boy can *dance*! He has such a fun rhythm to him!) ....Teaching him how and when his silliness is appropriate can be more of a challenge. It can be so difficult because I am afraid to stifle his personality but at the same time need to be firm with him that some times aren't right for his behavior. He is my son, whom I love with a strong and unshakable love....and I know through prayer and God's guidance that the right words will come and he will (maybe slowly) learn. And as he does....I am going to continue to strive to enjoy each moment...good or bad. :)

Each child is different. I work with Madelyn and Jaxson on different things as well....I don't mean to single X out....but to just share that I am just a mama like most of you, trying to do her best through the means God has given her. I seek Him to continually try to learn to let Him guide my mothering and let His love be cast upon my family through me, daily. I am imperfect....but learning more each day. If you have read Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kenison...you will understand what I mean. If you haven't read it....I recommend it. It is a book full of great reminders to savor the moments with your children....and it even talks about those *imperfect* moments as well! :)


If you are a working mama who *desires* to be a stay at home mama~but the thought of living on one income feels nearly impossible....let me encourage you! :) It can be done! We, as many other families, do! We don't live in debt. We are careful with our money and try to live frugally. :) We took Dave Ramsey's course Financial Peace University and it was fantastic! It taught us so much! :) Also....I read THIS post by Rhonda at Down---To---Earth and thoroughly enjoyed it! Living frugally, gardening, canning, watching for sales/using coupons, making meals from scratch....all ways to live on one income.

My home is humble but full of love. We do home improvements little by little...what we can do with the time and money that the budget allows. Sometimes my impatient self can want to get over-ambitious and do more than we can....but my sweet balancing other half has to slow me down and show me what will and will not work. ;) We are not perfect and would never claim to be. We just do what we can, when we can, with what God gives us. *Remember* every good and perfect thing is from above ;). But really....I do encourage you to read that post I linked to above at Rhonda's blog. It really is good! She has incredible wisdom! :)

I shared a few pics of my kiddos playing trains. They *love* to play trains. Setting up the tracks and such lets them use creativity while playing! I love when I hear (usually one of the boys) call out "hey! let's go play trains!" and off they go! Usually they play with them up in the playroom....but occasionally...they bring the train bin down to play with them in the family area...which is OK with me...I enjoy watching them! :)

I had better wrap up this post as I seemed to have gone on way more than I had anticipated....but...before I skeedattle...I wanted to quickly share a few of the dishcloths I have knitted recently!

A couple new patterns I have tried....


And just one of the "normal" dishcloth pattern.....

Days are full here....schooling, knitting, housework, church, family etc. Full....but truly enjoyable! I have a roast cooking in the oven now....dinner will be yummy! :)
We went and visited my brother and sister in law at their home last night....I held my nephew again....it was absolutely blissful. Nothing much can top the sweetness and wonder of holding a precious newborn in your arms....I was on cloud 9! ;)

OK....yes, yes...I must go now....I have gone on long enough! ;)
Thank you for stopping to visit. I *do* appreciate it! Please, share your thoughts with me...I love reading them! Wishing you and your family a warm and happy week ahead! :)

7 comments:

  1. And to you as well! (a safe and happy week)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such heartwarming words! I feel the same. :o) I just hit the "follow" key on Ronda's blog.. it looks great!!
    ~Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to work when my kids were young as I was a divorced mother but I worked from home or only during school hours. I did people's laundry and cleaned houses, did taxes, shopping for people, ironing.....until I opened a day care in my home, my best move. I wouldn't give up a minute-no, a second- of my kids growing up time. That was in the 70's and they are all happy, well-adjusted parents themselves. I think it makes a big difference. I commend you for staying home and working so hard to be a good, close family--you and your husband!
    ★ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post Katy.....:) I too have read Mitten Strings...it is a great book. Hope you have a wonderful day. :) Stop on over for a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contentment is the name of the game, isn't it! I see that in your writtings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katybear,
    I absolutely adore ya! Being a stay at home Mom is the BEST thing I've done in my life. I am there for all the firsts. We also live on one income and do things you mentioned..bargain shop, use coupons, and make meals from scratch. I love saving money! It's become a great joy, LOL, just as much as cooking a meal from scratch that the whole family loves. I learned some new knit moves ;) Your dishcloths are cute! My last semester starts today! I'm super excited to get it started and over with. Ha! Have a great week.

    TTYL,
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! I can feel your love for your family coming through each word.
    Your dishcloths are so cute. I wish that I could make those.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy