Tuesday, December 15, 2009

For The Family's Sake.....

*I am reading a book called "For The Family's Sake ~ The Value of Home In Everyone's Life" By Susan Schaeffer Macaulay. I am over half way through it and am completely enjoying it! :)

*So many people today don't truly understand the value of home. Healthy relationships and good starts on our journey of life all should start at home. As a mother, it is my goal to make my home a place of comfort and peace...of happiness and love.

*Of course, my home has lots of busyness and things are abuzz most of the time....however, I want my children to always have the memories of this home being their haven full of love, wonderful days and rest. My children are energetic and always going. I don't presume to think they will ever be children who sit perfectly still, hands in their laps at all times. There would be no fun in that. They will be the people God made them to be...although that doesn't mean they will be without discipline. I want to create an atmosphere of enjoyment of activities and family.
We all enjoy a peaceful time in the afternoon of rest. The boys look at books, Madelyn reads and I read or knit and then usually...one by one, each of us drifts off for a little nap, a time of refreshment and quiet....together. :)

*I thrive on routine and Mrs. Macaulay addresses that in this book. She also writes about Charlotte Mason and Amy Carmichael and their influence on her thoughts and actions. I haven't studied much about the Charlotte Mason approach to homeschooling...but I have heard many people use it. I am quite interested, now, in reading up on it and seeing how it may be applied to our home educating methods! :)

***A snippet from the editorial review found at the link to amazon above:

With a desire to help you nurture your family's heart, Susan Schaeffer Macaulay presents a clear blueprint for constructing a home that survives the variety of situations that you face in modern life. With Jesus Christ as the foundation, using tools such as common sense, realism, and traditions, you can build a secure, loving environment where every member of your family can flourish.
This is not a paid review or anything of the sort...this is just a book I am reading that I wanted to share with my friends. It is a great book and I completely recommend it to each of you if you have the same desires for your home as I do. :) If you have read this book...I would love to hear what you thought of it. I look forward to reading every last word of it and soaking in the ideas laid out in it!

Also....I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words about the post about the accident I was in when I was 16. Each comment was warm, kind and thoughtful. I appreciated each one. :) Thank you!

I hope you all had an enjoyable weekend. We've all been busy cutting and wrapping deer meat at the meat market as well as schooling and housework here at home. **By the way~we are almost halfway through our school year!**

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you each stay warm, if you are dealing with this cold weather like we are here in PA, and also stay safe. We have had a lot of ice lately...so dangerous and scary. Enjoy your week!!! :)

7 comments:

  1. Katy, that sounds like a great book! Did you find it at the library?
    I have always felt the importance of home in my life and have always tried to pass that on to my daughter and now to my granddaughter, even though she is only 5. I'm glad that my notions were not "off" or "crazy" thoughts! LOL!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book I might enjoy. I thrive on structure, routine and tradition. I do enjoy spur of the moment things, but I stress out when there is chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy,

    Yes, this is a good book. I have read it too. Try to read her book "For the Children's Sake"; this book goes into the Charlotte Mason method.

    Your friend,
    Tina
    www.peacefulviewacres.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy,

    I haven't read this book, but have read For the Children's Sake, which goes over the Charlotte Mason approach to schooling. It was very good and I highly recommend it. Susan's mother Edith Schaeffer wrote a book called What is a Family, and I suspect it's similar to the one your reading.....it was wonderful, as is anything I've read of Edith's. Books such as these are so encouraging in our roles as wives and mothers....and teachers :).
    Have a wonderful day!
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a book I would appreciate. I have been reading on CM this yr. I am inspired and challenged by the simplicity yet implication needed (as with any intent to teach your children at home or do anything with purpose). I know the Lord has really been leading me in "Being intentional" I desire so much and my intentions are good but doing/getting it done with intention is my struggle to overcome. This books looks like one I would like to glean much wisdom from. It will be asn intentional read.... Smiles, Angelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a good book, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a good and helpful book..
    take care,

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy