Tuesday, November 14, 2017

"The woman who makes a sweet, beautiful home...

...filling it with love and prayer and purity, is doing something better than anything else her hands could find to do beneath the skies."

~J.R. Miller 
(Author of Homemaking ~ one of my favorite books!)


While the children work on their schooling I stay busy with cleaning, laundry and organizing. This particular day I was cleaning in the kitchen area and moved some things around as well as hung some things up! The Bed and Breakfast sign was a gift from Xavier!


Cleaning behind the stove is *not* fun. It's actually very difficult to reach back in that corner area! If we get to renovate our kitchen one day, I won't have my oven in the corner like this. That back corner is wasted space and as I said before difficult to clean...


This is a room off of the kitchen. It was the laundry room when we moved in many years ago (you can see the plugs and pipes in the left of the photo). Once Chris finished our addition and we had a new laundry room this room became sort of a *pantry* room. I had worked (over years) to get the old wallpaper off (it was stuck directly on the plaster walls and quite difficult to remove. There was still a little bit of paper (the most difficult stuff) to remove that I just left. The room also needed primed and painted. It was just a project I never could tackle 100%. The other day I mentioned how I wanted to get it done (but with the onset of a sinus cold just didn't have the oomph.). I was going to do it Saturday but then thought maybe not. Madelyn kept insisting we should do it....and started peeling the last bits of wallpaper that needed to come off. I figured she would do that and then I would start priming...but to my surprise she said "If I'm taking off this paper ~ I better get to paint!". She *wanted* to paint! So I let her! Jaxson and I helped of course...but Madelyn did most of it! :) It's not all completely finished (as we would have had to move out the fridge and such) but most of it is done. The paint surely brightens up the room...


A family favorite meal is sausage gravy and biscuits. Although these biscuits don't *look* pretty ~ my family said they were probably the best biscuits (taste-wise) that I had ever made!


The sausage gravy is really easy to make! Brown the sausage until it is totally cooked through. Leave the grease in there and mix in a couple tablespoons of flour until all the grease is soaked up. Start pouring in milk gradually. As you stir, it will thicken over time (as it heats up). Add salt and pepper as desired....serve over homemade biscuits! :)


Game night with Madelyn and Jaxson (X didn't want to play)...




These two sillies...



Oh ~ I wanted to share something with you all real quick! It's a warning! Remember how I said I am reading "Call the Midwife" (the memoirs of Jennifer Worth)? Well, it *is* a good book...however, I came to a section that was terribly inappropriate to read (as well as truly unnecessary to even include). If you watched the show you will remember Mary....a young Irish girl who got caught up in prostitution. She was a real person....and Jennifer Worth shares in the book the things Mary saw at the "cafe"...Let's just say the details given made me shudder and were enough to make the book rated "R" (or worse). I was appalled and disappointed as I think you can get a point across about something without giving exact details of things.

I know I would have liked a warning before reading so I wanted to warn you in case you were going to read the book in lieu of my sharing it in a previous post. I had read an amazon review before purchasing it where one lady said it was "too graphic" for her. I assumed she meant about the labor and delivery process which I wasn't concerned about bothering me. I didn't realize it would detail inappropriate behavior. It is bad enough for me....being in my mid-thirties....but how horrible it truly must have been for Mary. She was only a young teenager at the time. She should never have seen that! Reading about it was bad enough....seeing it would have been worse. It does give me a reason though to pray for those who experience things as Mary did. I just truly wish I hadn't read those details. It feels as though it corrupts your mind. So there is my warning. I still recommend the book as the rest is so good it seems...but when you start reading about Mary ~ it would be much better to skip the section about the cafe!


 My boys have been making gnome doors as gifts (to hang on a tree)! They made me one too! I will be sure to share it with you soon! Schooling is in full swing here and I've got things to do as well! Thanks for stopping by! Warm wishes to each of you! :)

Joyfully,
Katy

11 comments:

  1. Your home is so cozy...
    I always enjoy your posts.
    I share your love of homeland family. : )
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, I have never read the book " call the midwife", I have no idea of the story of mary, its sad when that sought of things happen. I only watch the tv serious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Mary is shown in the tv series as well....but thankfully not the terrible details from the book!

      Delete
  3. I know I don't say it enough but I love to visit with your little family every chance I get.......Janice from Arkansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That is so kind of you to say!!! :) Thank you for taking time to visit!

      Delete
  4. Everything looks so homey & warm.

    I know what you mean about graphic details in books. I'll add movies & regular tv to that, as well. I was a Criminology major in college and am a bit of a crime story junkie. I'm forever telling my husband that I don't need visual details. I miss the day when the only part of the autopsy you saw was the examiner from waist up and no parts. Or the love story in which the loving couple kisses and the screen fades to black. I think all the extra is added to make up for bad writing. I also laugh at the ridiculous clothes the women wear to a crime scene. I assure you that I never saw that type of get-up where I worked!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katy! I have never read Call the Midwife but I noticed it's on Netflix. But after what happened in the "cafe" maybe I'll pass on watching that show. I think I will stick with the show When Calls the Heart. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, didn't she just out do herself on the room makeover! Very nice. Your home is so inviting. I love visiting through your blog!

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the warning about the book. I really appreciate it. Your house looks very nice. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures you paint of your life with words. You seem very happy.
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage
    Laura
    Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy