Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Homeschooling: Assembling Portfolios


This is my 8th year of homeschooling...I know when I was new to it I was anxious to take a look at other portfolios ~ how they were put together, what was included etc. I have been realizing more and more that every child/family is different...and all portfolios look different. Some are chock full of stuff while others just do the minimal to meet legal requirements. I am more of an in-between-er.

We have not put Madelyn's portfolio together yet but the boys' are done. I didn't photograph *every*thing...but just took some pictures to highlight things and give you an example. Maybe it will help you with assembling your portfolios....or if you are an old pro, maybe you'll just have fun taking a peek at ours!

I like to get binders that have the plastic sleeve in the front so the children can decide a cover...


Next, I include a *cover letter* just giving an overview of what he has accomplished for the year...


I pop in our planner for the year (I buy THESE on amazon because they are inexpensive and work well for our needs. I would love it if they were spiral bound though!)...


An inside peek at the planner...it is just simple and straight forward...just what I wanted *no fluff*!...


I include a copy of the objectives I had planned at the beginning of the year (we have to turn that in to the school district as well as a notarized affidavit at the beginning of each school year)...


Then I include samples of the work we have done...







For math, my children use Christian Light Education workbooks...there are 10 per year. I just slip one in to a page protector for the evaluator to look through...


I include some work samples from our homeschool co-op class days...



In the back of the binder I slip in a few of the lapbooks they children have done...


For Xavier, we used a few different workbooks for his language arts...so I slip one of those books in there...



I also keep a list of the chapter books that the children have read in the front cover of our planner. :)

Here's a look into Jaxson's binder...


Cover letter...


Samples...






For Jaxson's language arts, we use Christian Light Education (just like math). It has 10 workbooks and just as I do for the math, I slip one of the workbooks in...




Jaxson was a part of our homeschool co-op's drama performance so I put in newspaper clippings and the program from the show...


Lapbooks...


So there you have it! Again, there is much more in their binders than I pictured....but this gives you a good look at what the portfolios consist of! If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know and I will be happy to answer. If you are a no-reply commenter and ask a question, please check back to the comments because I will leave my answer there since I can't email you back!

I hope this has been helpful and fun!
Thanks for visiting!
Kindly,
Katy

Linked up at: Strangers & Pilgrims

5 comments:

  1. I would love it if sometime you could share how you "get it all done" in respects to homeschooling, cleaning, laundry, meals, etc. I want to homeschool but no idea how I could do it all. And how many hours does it take for each child? Are they getting to the age where they do it mostly on their own? And if you could share how you will handle the high school subjects that get harder like math and sciences? Thank you, I hope I am not asking too many questions! And I think you are doing a fabulous job with your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn!!! :) Thank you for your kind words! Let me start by saying I am *far* from perfect...but I'll let you know how we do things. On a typical school day, I often teach a 6am spin class...come home, shower, throw a load of laundry into the washing machine and make Chris's lunch for work. The children get up, do morning chores and eat breakfast. After we send Chris off to work, we sit and have prayer and catechism and begin any school work that we do as a group. Madelyn (who was in 8th this year) basically worked on her own. Homeschool books are made for children to read and learn independently. For Algebra, she would ask me when she didn't understand and I would help her (I like math). The boys and I would do Bible, History/Geography, and Science together and they would work independently on language arts, reading and math. I would help them as needed as well as switch the laundry, wash up some dishes etc. It takes us a good chunk of the morning to do schoolwork....some days more, some days less.

      After the children are finished, they will check their work and then we will go over things they missed or didn't understand. :) As for harder subjects, I haven't hit any that has been a problem for us...and really, I don't think any of my children will need pre-calc. or Calc. or anything in their future..so that wouldn't be something we would even do...but if you, let's say, have trouble with teaching Algebra, the book does a good job...and there are lots of other homeschooling parents that *are* good in that field that could help your child. There may be co-ops in your area or just other homeschooling families you can find on FB. There are also programs you can do online with actual teachers/cyber schooling (we've never tried that though).

      In the afternoon we spend time getting chores done (my children help with those as well) and then they play/relax etc. I like to take a nap when I can too! Isn't that nice!? :) We try to always work as a team so that we can get everything done. I am also super big on keeping the house always "tidy"....everyone must keep their stuff pretty much picked up. Then deeper cleaning can happen as necessary. :)

      You are always welcome to ask as many questions as you want...I am an open book! :) Homeschooling can be tough but it is SOOO worth it. And if you think about it, this is what parents did for the majority of time! You can totally do it! Please feel free to email me if you ever want to know more. I am happy to help as much as I can! thecountryblossom at hotmail dot com

      Delete
  2. Hello Katy,

    I read your above reply to Jen in Indiana, and we as a home schooling family have a similar schedule. School work in the mornings, chores and other activities in the afternoon. I also agree that most home school curriculum is terrific and literally becomes self-teaching as the children progress into Jr. high school and high school.
    I am so happy we've only home schooled in Texas and Montana. Home educators in Texas are 100% autonomous. We didn't have to submit letters of intent, worry about portfolios, evaluations, etc. Now that we live in Montana, we do have to submit annual letters of intent, keep attendance and immunization records. I always feel so fortunate to have home educated my children in states that allow the parents to choose the teaching methods, curriculum, education philosophy, etc.
    The rewards of home education have made the trials worthwhile and even if we lived in a more restrictive area with more government oversight, I believe we'd still choose to home educate.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love doing this for our homeschool also! Yours is situated very much like ours! I also love looking back at them... so many memories! :) Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning! Just a little note to let you know this article was featured today on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth. Have a lovely week and thank you for joining us :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy