Monday, July 6, 2015

Homeschooling: Organizing for 2015-2016


Every year I am always trying new ways to get our homeschooling organized. Some things work some years, and sometimes we need to change it up. *This* year, I am trying to use a box method. Each child's schooling is in their own box. These boxes hold file folders. I'll show you more below. 

The planner I am using for each child is the same one I used last year. You can read all about them HERE. I would love them to be spiral bound...but other than that, they work really well for us (and are wonderfully inexpensive!).


 Each of my children has a box (that's Jaxson's box in the back). This way, if Madelyn wants to do her schoolwork in her room, she can take her box up there. Or if we are going outside, they can go out with us (if we want). I just like that it keeps everyone's things separate and neat.


Here is Xavier's box. Each subject has a file folder for papers/workbooks that need kept in there. The back is open for text books...


Madelyn's box is below. She will be using Bob Jones for Geography and Saxon for Algebra 1 (we have always used Christian Light Education for math and really loved it...but she wanted to try something different this year...so we'll see how it goes!)...


For Xavier, he will be using these books for language arts/grammar/spelling (we haven't used these before but we're going to give them a try!)...


...and Christian Light Education for math...


...for writing, we are going to try this (notice the key word is *try* ~ sometimes it is necessary to change up curriculum mid-year if it really isn't working well for your child.)...


Jaxson will be using Christian Light math and language arts this year...


It's in workbook forms (each subject has 10 workbooks...lessons, quizzes and a test all included)...


What I like about the CLE language arts workbooks is that it has grammar, penmanship and spelling all included in one! I have some different writing prompt books and things that I want to use to work with him on writing as well.


We will be using Easy Peasy for Science, Geography (for the boys), Bible and foreign language. Reading will be done using many different books I have for the children to read! :)

So, we have our affidavits and objectives all handed in...so schooling can start anytime. I count other days (other than just books days) as school too if the children are participating in something where learning is taking place. :) So I start counting days as soon as I turn my paperwork in. I'm not sure when we will get back into the routine with our schooling *book*work though. :) It's such a battle to me....for I love routines...and yet, I am really enjoying this bit of summer "freedom" from routine. ;)

I'd love to hear how you are getting organized for homeschooling this coming year! :)
Have a great week!
Warmly,
Katy
A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

7 comments:

  1. where did you get those boxes? that's a good idea! might try that for el....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each of my children have a box. We started that about eight years ago and it worked so well we kept going with it. I'm pretty much organized for our school year, but I need to order some language/writing.... What we have been using isn't working great for us.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good idea. I use baskets, but boxes would be more organized and easier to see. The kids wouldn't have to dig so much. We just spent some time a couple days ago organizing and cleaning the homeschool room up from the last school year. Haven't started on next year though. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. It was great to visit your beautiful blog! Blessings, jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also used boxes though our files hung the other direction and I don't think were as efficient for use as yours look. Great find. As my children grew older I also had them use the files for their 'important papers' - bank details, club details, project files etc. Boxes taught them to not only keep their desk and school work tidy, but also other aspects of their life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great idea.
    We have two more weeks of school here in England, I must admit I am tired & we need a break. School starts in September in England.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am starting homeschool/charter school for the first time with my youngest this year, she will be in 4th grade. My oldest is starting high school and at this time doesn't want to do homeschool... which is where my heart is as I am a former teacher. Hoping she comes around :-) I enjoy organizing so hope to do a post as school gets closer. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Blessings,
    JIll

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy