Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Get Your House in Order: Paying Bills


I tend to be a pretty organized person. I am far from perfect (and not overly organized to the point of obsession) but strive to keep a well-run household...from cleaning, organizing, cooking, appointments, and keeping care with our families finances.

I have gleaned ideas over the years from various places...and thought I would share with you how I keep the paperwork/financial part in order!

When a bill comes in, I write it in my budget binder (this is a separate binder than my normal, everyday planner that I use). I have a calendar in there and write the bill and it's amount on the date it is due. I highlight pay days on the calendar in pink. I keep unpaid bills in that yellow plastic envelope...


Once a bill is paid, I write the date and check number on the bill stub (and make an X beside it in my budget binder) and then file the bill stub in the bin below. I don't always file the stubs right away. I will keep them in a holder on my desk and then when it gets full, I sit down and file them in their proper places...


This binder also is used as my wallet. I don't keep money in it...I have another coin purse for cash. I just keep my debit card, checkbook and register in there...


All important papers get filed in this bin (below). I like to know where things are and not have paper piles lying around. When paper piles *do* begin to accumulate, the best thing is to do it sit down with the pile in front of you and just go through it ~ one paper at a time. Trash/shred or file it where it belongs. :)

I hope how I do things helps you in your household organization/paying bills/filing paperwork. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will respond in the comments below. :) This way works wonderfully for me and maybe you have gleaned something from what I have shared..? :)

This is what Ruthie does while I am filing papers...


And before I go...just a few pictures from this past weekend. We attended a wedding this Saturday (as it was an outside affair, we were *so* thankful that the rain held off! I won't even begin to count how many bug-bites I have now though! haha!)...


Chris knows how to boogie (he always makes me giggle!)...


Father/daughter pic (Chris was going in for a surprise peck on the cheek! hehe!)...


Jaxson and his faces!!! Oh this boy of mine! He keeps us laughin'...


Catching a quick pic of Xavier on the move...


And at home...the animals enjoyed their naps (oh how rough they have it!). Remember in THIS post how I told you that Stella loves the windowsill? Here she is again (obviously *quite* comfortable as you can see)...


Ruthie was laying on the floor directly below Stella...


And Winnie would rather snuggle with me (it's a dark picture because when I took it with a flash, she would shut her eyes! I wanted you to see her eyes...because her sweetness is reflected in them)...


Here's one *with* the flash...see, she's all snuggled in...


So, this post was a bit of a two-fer...two posts in *one*! A little look into some organization and a look at a bit of family. :)

I always enjoy all the comments and emails you each send me. Thank you for them! I am going to try and be better about replying in the comments. I admit, I am not always great with that. I'm so sorry. If specific questions do get asked I always *do* try to respond via email (if you have that option available with your profile) or in the comments.

Thanks for visiting!
Cheerfully,
Katy
Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

4 comments:

  1. I like staying on top of paperwork, too. It's stressful when those papers pile up. I pay my bills from online banking...so easy and quick! My sweetie made me a budget spreadsheet in Excel years ago, and I *love* it. It's good to keep a handle on these things, isn't it? Your family always looks so happy...you are blessed! Enjoy these precious days. Hugs, Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katy, I am making so many changes at the moment on running our home, I am going to set a day a side soon and put together our paper work.
    I am trying not to get overwhelmed by the changes I am making.
    Your pictures are lovely, Maddy is becoming such a grown up young lady,best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to take care of bills as soon as I can, I do not have everything organized, that seems to be a work in progress. I always look for better ways of doing things! :) Thanks for sharing .
    Great family photos!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Katy, I think being organized is a way to keep life free from stress, we need to pay our bills on time and to keep a good tab on it as we have all had to backtrack to show that we did pay a bill on time. Those late charges are outrageous! Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy