Friday, June 26, 2015

Homemaking: Nothing Higher to Aspire


“I'm only a housewife, I'm afraid." How often do we hear this shocking admission. I'm afraid when I hear it I feel very angry indeed. Only a housewife: only a practitioner of one of the two most noble professions (the other one is that of a farmer); only the mistress of a huge battery of high and varied skills and custodian of civilization itself. Only a typist, perhaps! Only a company director, or a nuclear physicist; only a barrister; only the President! When a woman says she is a housewife she should say it with the utmost pride, for there is nothing higher on this planet to which she could aspire.” 
~John Seymour



“If you have been afraid that your love of beautiful flowers and the flickering flame of the candle is somehow less spiritual than living in starkness and ugliness, remember that He who created you to be creative gave you the things with which to make beauty and the sensitivity to appreciate and respond to His creation.”
~Edith Schaeffer



During summer, we take a bit of a respite from schoolwork (although I firmly believe learning happens during all the day-to-day happenings as well as book-work). We are able to spend more time doing other things that we enjoy which is such a blessing.

Our green beans and corn (growing in the big garden I posted about previously) are growing well. Other than going down to weed some, we get to just let the growing happen. At home, we continue with all our daily, normal chores like laundry, dishes, sweeping, tidying etc. The other day was simply beautiful and Jaxson helped me wash Wanda-the-Honda (we vacuumed her out too!)...


We've also been working at raking up leaves and pine needles (the long, soft kind) and using them to put into the chicken run (which doesn't get much sun....so with the abundance of rain we have had lately, has been quite muddy). My muck boots came in handy...


I enjoy using this time of year to organize rooms or areas in my home. I like to open up the windows and just go through things! I enjoy rearranging furniture to find a way that works better for the room it is in...and purging out home of things we no longer need! Sometimes, areas don't need "organized" really...but I just get the urge to *freshen* things up and switch it around a bit! :) It's such a great feeling of accomplishment when I am done.




As I have mentioned many times before, I enjoy mowing our lawn. It's great exercise (as we have a good sized yard in the back, sides and front) and a chance for me to roll up my sleeves and get a little bit of sun on my arms and face. The only disappointment is that with the abundance of rain we have gotten lately, the grass seems to grow *so* quickly (much *too* quickly in my opinion)...so between days of rain, we are blessed with a day of sun. As soon as the grass is dry enough, out I go again to get it all mowed again! I joked with Chris that it was like mowing the Amazon Rain Forest! :)


Pearl has enjoyed being out and about...enjoying the grass and sunshine! Our hens enjoy time free-ranging in the afternoons-evenings. I am so grateful that the Lord gave them the know-how to coop themselves at bedtime. Can you imagine having to chase 20 chickens to get them to bed every day?



Remember that homemaking happens *out*of doors as well as inside! Planting flowers (hardy perennials are absolutely fantastic as they come back every year and spread easily!), keeping your yard tidy and pulling weeds are all a part of making your home lovely!


The front of my home is not my favorite thing...I hope to change it one day, Lord willing (but truly, in the scheme of life, it's really not that important)...I *love* dressing it up with tons of flowers though! They bring me such joy! I love the looks and smells of different types of flowers. What a glorious gift the Lord gave us to enjoy! :)


These nicer days allow us to go to a few yard sales as well. I don't go to many...mostly to yard sales of friends and loved ones...but it's always fun to see what you can find for a deal! I found this lovely sweater that I *hope* will fit Madelyn (as she wasn't with me when I got it). Don't you think she will look so nice in it? ...


I also found these fun things...


“Homemaking is a passion you can pass on from generation to generation.” 
~Elizabeth George

And now, I really must go. There are things to tend to....which are not getting done while I'm on here! 

I hope your weekend ahead is blessed....and friends, don't be discouraged by the Supreme Court's ruling today. Our Lord is *Supreme* over all. He will prevail and not forsake His people. It's terribly disheartening but not surprising as the wickedness of man continues to demand its way. Stay in prayer and continue to follow Christ. Glorify Him in all you do and pray that this purifies the true Church. :)

In loving kindness,
Katy
Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

9 comments:

  1. Katy, thanks. I post I need to read this evening. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sweater! I'm sure Madelyn will love it! IF not, you can send it my way.. .haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also believe that children learn so much from everyday life, I was not one for taking things in from lessons & have learned so much as an adult.
    We have been doing the same as you, I have cleared so many cupboards out lately, taken some to auction & some to the charity shops. School does not break up in England for another four weeks & we work with the same holidays system as the schools.
    I love the top you bought for your daughter.
    Have a lovely weekend, we are off for an Edwardian picnic tomorrow.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about women at home. I used to feel lazy or uncomfortable when asked my career. Now I say I am the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Domestic Affairs, and watch the expressions on their face, then they usually smile lol!

    That is a huge area to mow, but like you said a great way to get exercise. I have been pulling weeds that have multiplied since we had rain. Our chickens are enjoying all the green, and laying us lots of eggs again.

    I believe children learn more from hands on activities, and they enjoy it more than book work. They are always learning even when outdoors,and it is such a fun thing to do.

    What a gorgeous sweater, hope it fits Madelyn and that she loves it. I like your other finds as well, especially the Prairie Cookbook.

    I love your cute house, it looks so homely and welcoming.

    There is pressure on our Australian government to follow suit with the Irish and Americans. So far our leader is standing firm and saying no, but I don't know how long he can keep doing it. A worrying and scary world we live in.

    God Bless,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Katy, as I am preparing for the beautiful and noble calling of being a homemaker, I just loved this post!
    In fact, I enjoy each of your beautiful posts...they are so inspiring! I also live on a farm where we are trying to live a simple lifestyle - growing some of our own veggies and keeping our chickens...such a blessing!

    What a gorgeous sweater you found for your daughter...and your home is so sweet!

    Thank you for the visit today! Have a delightful weekend and much love!

    In Christ,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the John Seymour quote! Will have to "borrow" it for my blog. I'm sure you won't mind. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes a housewife has the most important, influential job! Forming children!
    I once (many years ago) had a bumper sticker on my van "Get a real job, be a housewife". I had to eventually take it off because some other drivers would be rude to me. Same with pro-life stickers, these must bring out the demons in some people! So true about these court decisions; God is in charge always, our laws do not change His laws. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love the front of your home! It is beautiful Katy! And flowers, oh, how I love flowers too!

    Sweet blessings,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I think anyone who is 'only' a homemaker is a very privileged person, indeed. It has been my dream job forever! And I LOVE the front of your home!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy