Thursday, June 30, 2016

"Rest is not idleness...

 ...and to lie on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time."
~ John Lubbock



The summer is heating up for us here in Western PA, thankfully not unbearably so. When you are out stacking hay, mowing the grass, or going for a run...you definitely get drenched in sweat though. I would like to think that I don't sweat but actually *glisten*...but the truth of the matter is that I drip profusely....and it's not a pretty sight. I am just one of those people who sweat *abundantly* when doing work. 

While doing hay at my mom's, Chris and I were stacking it after others threw it from the hay wagon and brought it to us. Oh my....crazy heat/humidity + a ton of sweat + hay = a couple of scarecrows from the Wizard of Oz! Haha! The hay just stuck to us like glue....our arms, faces, and heads were just covered! To say I was thrilled to get home and shower would be an understatement! :) 

I know this isn't a deeply exciting post...but hey, it's real life. :) Just keepin' it real friends! And with that being said...as the quote says...*Rest is not idleness*....and I take a nap daily if I can. I have mentioned it before in my posts but thought I would again. My children are at an age where I am able to nap for a bit in the afternoon and I do so when I need it (which is most days). Afternoon hits and my eyelids are heavy! So, I work hard....and I rest hard! :o)

As you can see in the photos above and below, our hens have been happy with the weather and have kept us abundantly supplied with eggs! Fresh eggs are really the best! 


Yesterday, Madelyn, Jaxson and I went up to babysit my two youngest nieces while my sister took Eloise to a couple appointments. On our way, we had to stop at Pa's barn because Madelyn feeds one of the horses there. Jax was reading while we waited...


Xavier was with us too (but later we dropped him off at my dad's garage before traveling to my sister's). He works there most days...like an apprentice. He learns how to do things and helps with whatever they need him to do. He loves it. He so wants to be a *man*....although I encourage him to not try to grow up *too* fast! He becomes a teenager in a couple months. This mama isn't ready for that!


Madelyn with Bandit (brown) and Bosk (white)...


We enjoyed spending time at my sister's. I took a couple pictures with my kindle (as I don't have a cell phone that is hooked up with internet or anything fancy). You can see them on my instagram page HERE.

In other news...I am excited to say that Chris got our ceiling fan up in our new living room! That room stays decently cool because the sun doesn't directly shine in it...but the fan makes it even more delightful to be in on the warm summer days!


My aunt gave us a beautiful ceiling fan from her house that she couldn't use anymore. It has a stained glass dome that hangs down and is just lovely. Unfortunately, in our addition, we made our ceilings a normal height so the upstairs was a normal ceiling as well (as opposed to the rest of our house where the downstairs has 9 ft. ceilings and the upstairs ceilings are a bit lower). The new ceiling fan hangs down too low and would only work on our higher ceilings ~ Soooo....Chris took the ceiling fan from our old living room (which is now the school room/library) and put it into the new living room (it doesn't hang down too low). The stained glass ceiling fan from my aunt will go into the school room/library. I will be sure to share it when it is up. :) It's so lovely!


Today, after packing lunches for Chris and the boys (who were all off to work at my dad's garage), I went for a couple mile run. Madelyn went to help at Chris's parents' meat market. So I am here, hanging out laundry, folding laundry, doing dishes and tidying the house. Later this afternoon I am going to head out to my aunt's house, I think, to help her with some organizing!

A productive day today, I think...which is always a good thing. But rest is a good thing too...don't forget that! :) I hope the sun is shining where you are...and that you have a great day ahead ~ the last day of June! I'm so glad you dropped by for a visit! :)

Until next time, Lord willing,
Katy

Linked up at: The Whole Hearted Home

3 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog recently and love it :). I am an almost-daily napper as well! It helps me get through the late afternoon, dinner, bedtime routine with my young kids. But I have also found that my nap feels even sweeter when I have earned it through a morning of hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about these productive summer days. Looking forward to seeing the new ceiling fan. What wonderful handmaidens they are.

    *hugs*
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely... Happy Summer! We also have very happy chickens and we have more eggs then we can eat! Your new addition is so nice for your family to use and grow into!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy