Sunday, September 20, 2015

Making Cider



It's that time of year again! Fall festival prep time! Our family's fall festival is coming up this Saturday and annually, we make our own apple cider to sell. It's a lot of work but many come to help to get the job done! Everyone worked hard...and it was a beautiful day. Couldn't be more grateful for that! :) 




I just love that man's face...on Wednesday Chris and I will celebrate 15 years of wedded bliss. The Lord blessed me with him, truly...


After the apples are squished and squashed....out comes the skins and innards...


...and down pours the juice...


Whew! One bin done...but *more* to go!!!



I helped fill the jugs, cap them and wash them. When we would get tired (as we did this for hours) someone would take our spot while we rested a bit. We all just kept working together to get it done...however we could help...


Look at that rich color...


Xavier...


Madelyn, dumping apples in...


Chris is a monkey. He is my crazy-tree-climbing-husband-monkey. He was getting some pears out of the pear tree to add to the cider (it improves the flavor). He got up there and shook the tree to get the pears to fall to the ground...


See him up there?



Lord willing we live long lives...my husband will be the 80 year old man that is still climbing trees!


The children went around gathering up the pears Chris shook down...


The cider gets strained once here (at the press)...and then once inside before getting put into containers. I didn't try any but oh, it smelled wonderful! If you live locally, I hope you will stop for the festival on Saturday!


It has been a busy weekend with a busy week ahead...Tomorrow is our first co-op class day for the year...along with homeschooling (*at home*), housework, filling sticker orders, church, spin classes, cooking, getting ready for the festival etc....whew! Just thinking about it makes me want to take a nap! It's after 7pm here now though...so maybe I'll have to settle for an early bedtime!

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments and emails are such a blessing to me! :) Please know I read every one of them! I hope you have a lovely week ahead!

Warmly,
Katy

"To risk reputation and affection for the truth's sake is so demanding that to do it constantly you will need a degree of moral principle that only the Spirit of God can work in you. Do not turn your back like a coward, but play the man. Follow boldly in your Master's steps, for He has made this rough journey before you. Better a brief warfare and eternal rest than false peace and everlasting torment."
~Alistair Begg


Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katy,

    Your family's annual cider making reminds me of my family's canning bees that I had the pleasure of participating in during a couple of my teen years.
    Where do the apples come from ... does your family have an orchard?

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katy, we have been juicing our apples, I am going to can some. When you make your cider do you have to sterilise your containers? Wishing you a lovely productive week, best wishes.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! I seem to remember this from last year. How quickly the time flies by!! I could almost smell that yummy cider through my computer screen. Too bad we live SO far from you! Hugs, Camille

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat experience for your family to be a part of the cider making! I loved that you shared this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy