Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Beautiful Birthday!

Saturday arrived with blue skies and sunshine. The temperature was wonderful and it was a gorgeous day! It was a glorious day to spend my birthday! Our community was having a parade in the afternoon and my sister came to town with her family. I was so joy-filled to have them in town to spend time with! My children were in the parade with my parents and Chris (who drive my dad's wrecker, tiltbeds etc. through). 

It is bunches of fun to watch a parade with littles. Dinah was there, in all her cuteness. She happily sat in her stroller, taking it all in!


And Eloise....oh, the Squeezle...she makes me giggle *a lot*! She was gathering candy that was thrown...seeing how much she could hold in each hand without dropping it. She has food allergies and doesn't actually eat any candy but she has a ton of fun gathering it up so she can give it away!


And the band plays on...


Mid-jump...


Some of the things that went through the parade were quite loud...Eloise acted accordingly!



It was so fun watching my children go through the parade on my dad's trucks...


They threw candy and handed out balloons to children (although they ran out of balloons before they reached us ~ they saved one pink balloon for Eloise!)...



Such a smiling sweetie Dinah is! And look closely...somebody is getting teeth!


Following the parade, we all headed to my parents' house for a birthday picnic!


My sweet girl, Madelyn...




My cousin and Dinah...


They crack me up!



Eloise loved carrying around this cement bunny...


My boys....my heart....


Xavier's birthday had been earlier this month and my sister had this extra gift to give him but didn't have it until recently...so she gave it to him last evening. It is perfect for him (that is totally his thought process!)...


I praise God for these people around me. They are gifts...each one. Just sitting here, thinking about each of them...from each of my parents, to my sister and her family, my Aunt Jo, my cousin, my Christopher and my children...can bring tears to my eyes. Tears of gratitude. 

So many walk around today thinking they *deserve* bigger, better, more. We deserve nothing good. Each and every thing we have around us are gifts. Each person, each comfort, each delight...gifts. They are things to be treasured...but *more* than that, they are to draw our eyes to the Gift-Giver. I come to Him, almost daily, with a broken, humble heart at my inadequacies and un-deserved-ness. I praise Jesus for my salvation and for these treasures He has put around me on this earth. His grace confounds me. He is so good. 

Before I depart for the day...someone asked in the comments what I am reading lately. In addition to my reading of the Scriptures, I am continuing in the Essential Works of Charles Spurgeon (a 1500 page book that I am working through). I am also reading through J.C. Ryle's Commentary of the gospels. I am also reading (yes, three books at once.....I just want to *learn* sooo much!) Attitudes of a Transformed Heart by Martha Peace. All three of these books are just excellent! I highly recommend them! 

Thank you for coming by and sharing in a bit of my birthday with me! I hope your weekend was splendid and all things done to the glory of Christ! 

Warmly,
Katy

9 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! It seems like you had a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday and it looks like you had a wonderful family day. Those kiddos are just adorable-especially the little gathering girl that doesn't eat what she reaps! Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Katy.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY and many more gifts to you throughout the year! (:

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a wonderful birthday!

    You have the right attitude, a grateful heart.....

    Blessings on your upcoming year.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce (Lees Summit, MO)August 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

    Happy Birthday, Katy. As always I enjoyed your posting and the sharing of your family pictures. Also, the reminder that everything around us is indeed a gift from "The Gift Giver." I love the shirt given to Xavier. Hope the year ahead brings you many blessings. Your blog is the first one I always check to see if anything new has been posted. I always enjoy your thoughts, pictures and sharing of your day. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Katy, lovely post and your words are so true and comforting. best wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when you share bits of your life and happy birthday to you, one of my favourite bloggers. I always look forward to a post from you! May I ask...How old are you? You are so right...each person is a treasure and a gift. Life is good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated Birthday Katy. My mom, sister, oldest son and my birthday are all in August. And we are all blessed to share a birthday month with a very special woman named Katy! Thank you for all that you share of your life. May The Lord bless you and keep you, Turn his face toward you, providing you with all the blessings of his glorious riches in Christ Jesus , a full measure of the fruit of his spirit in your life. Love, Angelia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy, I'm Amanda's mother. We received your card in the mail and I want to say thank you so much for being a loving and caring sister-in-Christ. It is encouraging to know that you are involved in our Lord's work of lifting up my daughter in prayer. Blessings on you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy