Monday, August 24, 2015

When Troublesome Things Occur...

“If I do not feel far more for the grieved Savior than for my 
worried self when troublesome things occur, 
then I know nothing of Calvary love.” 

~Amy Carmichael

The Lord has been teaching me much....and disciplining me as well. I had wanted to do a *deeper* post on all that I have been struggling with but just couldn't find the right words. I can say, though, that troublesome things occur...to all of us...to different degrees and at different times. Right now, we are dealing with our foundation crumbling under a corner of our house. Stressful? Just a bit! ;) 


Loved ones graciously came over this Saturday (which, praise the Lord it was a beautiful day!) and helped begin the process of repairing the damage. Digging, moving block, more digging etc. Those guys worked hard. And more needs to happen. Right now, we sit with a massive hole in our basement (Don't worry though, there are braces holding the rest of the house up!). 


I will (cringe to) admit that my patience has been waning lately. It's quite frustrating when the *fixing up* process of our house is an extremely slow process (14 years and going...) and the nice weather goes by much too quickly and we are forced to set aside home improvements for another season. Then the foundation starts to crumble and my heart saddens because now *that* requires time, money and energy (which means it isn't able to be put into other renovation areas). We need to begin splitting and stacking wood soon. The woodshed needs to be filled for this coming winter. Then deer season starts and Chris gets busy for weeks processing deer at the family's meat market. It's never-ending! 

**But then...the Lord convicts me (big time) and I sit back and cry realizing how selfish and "stuff"-centered I have been. My eyes should be focused on Christ...not *myself*! Where is my grateful, content spirit? Why do I let the world seep in to my thoughts? It's a terrible struggle with the flesh. I despise the struggle. It's difficult and, at times, depressing. Joy *does* come though...when the Lord brings me back to Him and I realize that Christ has won over the flesh and I can rest completely in Him. I will still wrestle with the temptations, impatience and frustrations of this world while on this side of eternity...but it's completely worth the fight when you desire to do good and bring God all the glory because of what He has done for me.

“If we were less of what seems like ease in our lives they would tell more for Christ and souls...We profess to be strangers and pilgrims, seeking after a country of our own, yet we settle down in the most un-stranger-like fashion, exactly as if we were quite at home and meant to stay as long as we could. I don't wonder apostolic miracles have died. Apostolic living certainly has.” 
~Amy Carmichael

I love reading Amy Carmichael's words...she is full of such wisdom. Her life wasn't easy nor was she perfect...but she found joy and rest in Christ. 

“Praise Him who went before to search out a Resting-place.

May it be a place of victory too, for His own glory's sake.” 

~Amy Carmichael

I *really* like her book If . Convicting...completely. Have you read it? If not, I highly recommend it! It's small enough to carry in your bag when you go places. A simple buy highly thought provoking read!

So, I guess this turned out to be a bit longer than I had anticipated. The truth is, I am terribly imperfect and *need* a Savior. What Christ has done for the likes of me is amazing...not because of *any* good in me but because of Who He is and His greatness! If I focus more on earthly things rather than on Christ, I have a problem and totally need to re-focus. Daily Bible reading and prayer is a necessity for the Christian life. Without it, you can not properly keep your focus on Him. 

“The marvel of our Bible never shows more marvellous than 
at such times, when you see it in deed and in truth the 
Sword of the Spirit, and it cuts.” 
~Amy Carmichael

Some photos from this weekend...


I'm telling you...Ruthie smiles...I love my pup! 

Home repairs...







Inside happenings...


Xavier was busy helping his Pop-Pop, I believe, when these pictures were taken...thus his absence...


Homemade pizza for supper one evening (using the pizza crust recipe from the Homestead Blessings cookbook)...


We've also kept busy with homeschooling, chores, and I've been making stickers! :) Thank you to those who have already placed an order. We all celebrate with each order that is placed! :) 
Here are just a few of the things you'll find in my shop...





Homeschooling mamas...here are some great sticker flags to mark your field trips, co-op days and days off! If you have a custom order you would like made...message me on etsy! :)

You can find my etsy facebook page HERE. If you have friends who love planning or scrapbooking, I would really love if you would share my shop with them! :)


Today, we're taking the day off from schooling...Xavier has eight baby teeth that don't seem to want to fall out and it is not good for his grown-up teeth. He needs to go have them pulled today. Today is also my birthday so it's fun to just have the day to enjoy. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by. If you made it the whole way through this post, I appreciate it! It was a long one, for sure. :)

I hope your week ahead is great! I hope you'll stop again soon! 
Striving to give God all the glory, 
Katy

Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth              A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

28 comments:

  1. Blessings the sun will keep shinning, the days getting shorter, autumn is in the air but family, friends and faith is always there....keep your head up he never seen gives us more than we can handle, we question it at times....

    Happy Birthday.......hugs to X a stressful day for him.....but it will be fine......

    Blessings
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Katy! I hope you have a nice day. My birthday is Wednesday. Praying things will work out for you.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I hope you enjoyed your birthday as well!!! :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Katy.
    I hope all goes ok, we have different foundations in the UK.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! :) I think the differences between the US and UK are so interesting!

      Delete
  4. Believing everything will work out for your good... and praying for your Xavier today. Happy birthday dear Katy... I'm thankful you were CREATED sweet friend! God bless you all... and ps. I'm gonna pick up that book... Leaon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Leaon! You are so kind! You will definitely love that book! :)

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday! Everything will work put in His time. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, it's ok to be bummed out because your house is a perpetual money-sink of endless repairs. It's ok to be frustrated and annoyed because busywork takes away from more important priorities, but it can't be avoided. It's ok to be cranky because the time flies and the money flies and sometimes it feels like the family wheels are spinning but you're not going anywhere at all. Totally normal.

    But.

    At least you have a house. At least you have family and friends who will come and help you work on projects. At least you have a husband who can rely on a family business for income. At least you have wood to chop to fuel the fires that probably help keep you warm. At least you have the money to meet the expenses of *today*, and you know the seasons will change and winter will pass and outdoor work will begin again and you can pick up where you left off. At least you've got strong backs and arms and tools. So many people have so much less - no one to count on for help, reduced or limited ability to do physical labor, no house that can be worked on, no reliable if seasonal income.

    It's totally ok to be frustrated and cranky and throw a little personal temper tantrum over never ending, expensive projects. Just take heart! These are the things that make up our lives, and they are worthy, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely 100% agree with you! And when the Lord brings those things to my mind, my heart cries out in complete sadness that I have fixed my eyes on the temporary rather than the wonderful gifts He has laid at my feet (and all around). I was just speaking with a brother from church about this, as he went on a mission trip to Haiti...and how they don't have showers and basic things that we have here. It makes you take a step back and want to shove your foot directly into your mouth! I am learning....slowly but surely. Oh how I cry out to God daily to be rid of the selfish, worldly things that are around me. I pray that as He sanctifies me daily, that I will grow more and more into His image. I have *so* far to go....

      Delete
  7. Awww...Katy!!! SO sorry you are going through this trying time right now. SO happy for you that the weather cooperated and family was able to come and help! That's a scary HUGE hole!!! I remember being a little distressed over the jack-hammering that took place INSIDE our home from the front to the back for laying sewer pipe....AACK!!! It will feel wonderful when it is all put back together and things are snug and dry for winter. Big HUGS to you! Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement Camille! I can't imagine jack-hammering *inside* the home! Wow!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Katy! God made us with strengths and weaknesses. When things get to me, I try to remember that he loves me even in times when I am frustrated and when I am having a "pity me" party. These times do pass and we become a stronger person. Don't forget that you are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan....you are sooo right! :)

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday Katy! Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow
    will worry about itself. Sufficient to the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:34

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,
    I believe we all face these same frustrations with ourselves many times throughout our lives. We are just clay, He is our potter. He is conforming us to His image with every painful circumstance. It is wonderful to know that when we see Him, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. Until then, we have this flesh. God is so merciful, though, to reveal things about ourselves to us. We can be sure that if He does, He will give us the grace to withstand the molding and shaping He is doing in our lives. I love your honest testimony.

    I'm so happy to be able to tell you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!!! How very, very right you are!!!

      Delete
  11. Katy, a belated happy birthday! Please know that you are not alone. I have felt the exact same way about my 120 year old farmhouse. We have been remodeling our kitchen for 2 years. It is slow going but we are doing it ourselves to save money. It just hurts when my own mother makes hurtful comments that affect me so deeply. And then I start feeling even more frustrated with the progress. And then I realize how selfish I am and how it really truly is so wordly. Thanks be to God that he can bring us back to realize truth. And thankfully you have such wiling friends and family to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your mother makes hurtful comments :( It is so good to know I am not alone in my woes. May we turn to Him, constantly and consistently! :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Katy sorry for the belated birthday and the house problems , I know exactly how you feel our house was flooded here in Australia a couple of years ago what a mess mud every where , then my husband got very ill and could not work for seven months , they were tough times but we pulled through it all much stronger and closer to God .I love your blog and all your family pics it makes me feel like you are a close friend .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much! I am so glad you take the time to visit here and even leave me a little note! :)

      Delete
  13. I really understand your house struggles. We have a few. :) Happy Birthday! I am headed over to check out your shop. Your stickers look like fun.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy