Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Staying at Home is *not* Boring

Staying at home as a homeschooling mother and wife does not seem like a "glamorous" life to most...and I think I would agree. Glamorous isn't the word for it. It is a life of selflessness, giving, being a blessing (and being blessed), hard work, joy, disappointments, failures, and rewards. It is what God intended for married women. 

Some believe staying at home to be boring...and I can assure you that it doesn't have to be. It all depends on how you use your time. There is schooling of littles (if you have young ones), spending time *with* your children, homekeeping chores, crafting (knitting, crocheting, sewing or another productive art), cooking, visiting those who need you, writing and sending notes of encouragement, time spent in the Word and other edifying books and prayer...and if your children are a bit older, there is even, at times, time for a nap in the middle of the day (why, oh why, didn't I treasure naps as a child? They are a glorious thing!). 

I am so, so thankful my husband believes the Bible when it says that women are to be keepers at home...loving their husbands and children (Titus 2:3-5). All I ever wanted to do in life was be a wife and mother. I am far (so very far) from perfect and have had many moments of struggling, selfish discontentment, depression and anxiety. But the Lord continually reminds me that I *am* right where He wants me....doing just what He created me to do. :) 

Below are a few crochet finishes (that I will hopefully be adding to my etsy shop soon)...

 Preemie Hat

 Dish Cloth

 Set of Dish Cloths

 0-3 month Sun Hat

And here is a knitting work-in-progress...


Madelyn and Jaxson playing chess...


Being a homemaker has allowed me the opportunity to travel to my sister's home when needed (Jax and I drove there yesterday to help her with the girls as she is battling a horrible cold)...


We took the girls outside to play as it was absolutely gorgeous outside!


They had a lot of fun drawing with chalk on the sidewalk and driveway...


These girls....love, love, love them!


Jaxson, who loves all things Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Hobbit (sci/fi junkie that he is), drew a large Darth Vader mask on the driveway. The girls loved it as they are Star Wars fans too (they haven't seen the movies...but they love it because Jaxson loves it!)


Audra was there too...sweet smiles and all...


Finished!


 At naptime, when things were quieted down and relaxed at my sister's house, Jaxson and I headed home (in the meantime Madelyn was helping Grammie at her office and Xavier was helping Pa at the Meat Market). I came home to get my cleaning done at home (I had hung two loads of clothes out on the lines before I had left that morning) and to start supper...


Eggs from our chickens, sausage from the Meat Market, and fried potatoes...the house smelled wonderful!


And after a good meal, it's always best to get the kitchen cleaned up before bed. Waking to a clean kitchen just starts the day off right! :)


It is truly a *gift* to be a homemaker. If you haven't yet, I would love if you would read my post HERE on it! May you find encouragement there! :)

And quickly, before I go...I just wanted to share with you this lovely beauty my husband carved for me. He is looking up how to coat it properly for usage. My guy...such a catch he is. I am blessed to call him mine!


I hope you will stop again soon. If you are new here...please check out different posts on my sidebar that you may enjoy!

Warmly,
Katy

14 comments:

  1. I loveee staying at home. I quit my job before we even had any kids (I'm going to birth our first one in July) and I think I have quite the glamorous life :) I don't envy anyone their jobs! (except for maybe that one guy who tests roller costers...that sounds like fun) I feel so blessed by God in my position and I LOVE blessing my husband and having time to take care of his needs. :) Lovely blog post. I love your blog and wish you lived next door to me! I'm a infrequent commenter and a new christian of about 3 years now...I am learning so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel blessed beyond measure to stay home. I remember working and all the additional stress it added to our lives. I can't imagine working and having children. I find that there is always something to do. Many days there don't seem to be enough hours in the day to accomplish all of the things I wish.

    Telling women that they are called to be keepers of the home is not always popular and received with kindness. Keep right on spreading the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found much joy in your article here, thank you for sharing! I have many questions for you and your beliefs that the mother should be in the home. I completely agree, and I would LOVE to know your background in this firm thought. Although the world around us might not be as quite encouraging!

    Would you like to chat? :)

    Thank you and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy another great post as always. I love being a keeper of our home. I still struggle some days to do it joyfully but most days I'm joyful about it. You are so right about the kitchen being cleaned before bedtime. I got in the habit of leaving until morning a while back and boy was I so disappointed in myself in the mornings. I now have gotten in to a habit of cleaning up right after dinner is over or some nights putting it off for an hour or so if my back is really hurting. Blessings to your week....Joann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think being a mother and wife is the most important job any woman can have. I have never had the luxury of staying home full-time, but always dreamed about it.. One thing I would share is that when woman stay home full-time, some take it as a ticket to be lazy, not do their job.. because it is a job, just not one paid with currency... but paid with love(most of the time)... so Katy I think you have a awesome job, and girly you are blessed beyond measure.. and all the materialistic lifestyle is so OVERRATED... most people that seem to have everything, are miserable.... Enjoy your days because before you even know it your sweet babies(children) will be grown and living a life of their own.. You are doing great!... love all the goodies you make... so talented... take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the hardest job you'll ever love! Mine babies are all grown now. I'm so grateful that I was given the gift not only to raise my children myself, but to want to! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an important and encouraging post Katy. And an idea that holds a special place in my own heart. Could I persuade you to share this at my Five Star Frugal Linkup? Please? Mimi xxx
    http://atrayofbliss.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/five-star-frugal-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, Katy! I think it's wonderful that your kids have the opportunity to spend time working side by side with their grandparents. Another truly wonderful thing about homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right where the Lord wants you to be and where your family benefits from your gift of giving to them. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, Katy! What a delightful post, my dear! I loved seeing the Darth Vader made of chalk - the kids did a fabulous job! And the hat and dishcloth that you made are simply adorable!

    Thank you so much for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. It's a joy to have you at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Katy, thank you for sharing this sweet encouragement...I am a daughter at home and my deepest desire is to be a mother at home with her littlies, God willing of course, one day... I know it is a life of selflessness, but I also know it is worth it!
    And your crochet is just beautiful - aren't we blessed to be able to stay home and do such sweet things?!
    Blessings and much love to you - visiting from Roses of Inspiration today!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved being at home when my children were small. Now I love working outside the home 4 days a week. Both satisfied me in different ways and yet I have to say I've never regretted staying at home and raising my children. Best job I ever had! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't agree more....homemaking is not boring! I am so thankful that the Lord has enabled me to be a stay-at-home Mama to our children...how good He is to allow me this privilege. Happy homemaking to you my friend! Hugs, Camille

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how I agree! I was just telling that to someone an hour ago. Homemaking is a very fulfilling and creative calling (though very challenging at times to be a mother)! I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you for sharing this special message on the Art of Home-Making Mondays Katy!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy