Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Wednesday in March


Today is nothing extraordinary...but a joy-filled day none-the-less. The hours have been filled with homeschooling, running errands, making homemade veggie beef soup (in the crock pot for supper later), babysitting, cleaning and organizing! I may even get a chance to do some knitting (and maybe a short nap too!) before the day is over! I teach spin tonight and the chickens have been laying so well that I have eggs to take to sell to friends who come to my class! That is such a blessing. It earns us a little extra money for feed for the girls and allows others to avoid those nasty store-bought eggs. :)

Washing cast iron...we use it a lot in this house (daily)...


Doing some organizing in the kitchen...








If you notice in the photo above, there is a crack in our kitchen wall. This is an old house. The walls are plaster. The temporary door between the kitchen and the addition we are building wouldn't stay closed. Chris looked down in the basement and saw, to his great chagrin, that the one corner of the foundation of this old house is starting to cave in (in the corner below our kitchen). We were both terribly disheartened.

Thankfully, our brother-in-love came over two nights in a row to help Chris make a temporary reinforcement to keep that corner sturdy. Once things thaw out a bit around the house, we will have to dig it out there and completely rebuild that corner foundation (I say *we* as if I have anything to do with it...but really, I have no part in it but making sure whomever is working on it is well hydrated and fed). When I was in tears over this sudden realization (as this takes precedence over working on the addition and basically anything else we have going on) Chris wrapped his arms around me and told me how blessed we are (which is true). We have loved ones who *know* how to fix this and may even help us do it. We save so much money by doing things on our own. We just can't afford to pay someone to do things. Chris is right, of course. I was just overwhelmed with the idea that my home wasn't fully supported. Money that I had hoped could be used to continue work on the addition will now be used to purchase the materials to fix that corner (as well as the outside entrance/doorway into the basement which has caved in).

In an old house, it always seems like there is one thing after another needing fixed. I can feel disheartened that home improvements happen so slowly (will the addition get done? Will we finish putting up the siding on the rest of the house? etc. etc.) and then comes the shame for my selfishness. In America, we are considered lower than middle class. We live on one income and make due with what we have....but we still live in abundance and with *much* compared to most of the world. We have clean, running water, heat, a stove, refrigerator, and dishwasher. We have clothes to wear, computers, phones and a television. We are really not lacking anything at all... Honestly, often I realize that we just have way *too* much!

 I am thankful that the Lord convicts me as He does. He is so good...isn't He? Sometimes on the web, you can go to blogs or sites where a woman has a beautiful magazine-worthy home and it can make you discontent with your own home. This just should not be so. We should be content with what we have and not covet our neighbor's belongings. If we really think about it....where does the root come from when we feel we need more or better *stuff*? Definitely not from God...for He tells us in His Word...

"But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world and we cannot take anything out of the world." 
~1 Timothy 6:6-7

"Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for He has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you'."
~Hebrews 13:5

"I have set the Lord before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
~Psalm 16:8-11

The Lord is our joy....His presence is what we should rejoice in. We don't have to keep up with the Jones'. We find our completeness in Him.

Of course, we should take care of things He has given to us....thus why I strive to keep my home tidy and organized (which is not always an easy task with three children home all day, every day!).  I will be quite relieved once we get this corner foundation redone and looking neat and nice! :) Until then, I will rejoice for what I *do* have and be content! :)

A couple posts from Lori at Always Learning were very encouraging to me and may be to you as well! You can find them here:  Unmaterialistic and Simple Living and A Clean Home is a Pretty Home (She has lots of other wonderful posts too! If you haven't checked her site out before, I encourage you to do so!)

As always, thank-you for visiting. It's always great to hear from you!
Warmly,
Katy

a-wise-woman-builds-her-home

8 comments:

  1. Katy I'm glad you are having a joy filled day. I'm struggling to find joy today but your post has at least made me smile. I love all the photos of your home it's always so nice , clean and organized looking. Thanks for your post and making me smile :) blessings joann

    ReplyDelete
  2. This winter has been tough on everything, including our homes. We have had a leak in our bathroom around the window. I was extremely sad by this because the bathroom is new. We will just continue to push through until spring. It is very close, we had 50 here in NY.

    Your soup looks so good. Have a blessed night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry. I know that these things can be so discouraging. We are in the same financial situation you are and I know that every penny here is accounted for. It is tough when those extra pennies can't go where I want them to. Like you, I try to be content and grateful for that the extra is there when it is needed. I hope that by doing it yourself with help there will some left for you addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I for one think your kitchen is just beautiful! I'll bet the rest of your home is just as lovely. Homes that look like a magazine layout But the aren't cozy to live in. Contentment with what we have is a great gift. It looks like you have quite a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what the other ladies said. Aaahh..... same situation here. It is always something. We need repairs made to two vehicles and as I type I'm listening to my faucet drip, drip, drip... (: but this post was so sweet Katy. You have the right attitude and are so blessed with a precious, hardworking, empathetic hubby. Yes - - blessed indeed! (: Hope you sell lots of eggs and have a nice rest of the day. The soup looks delicious too!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your soup looks yummy. Your day sounded wonderful. So sorry about the crack in the wall which revealed a problem with the foundation. What a blessing you have helpers to set it right!! We live in an older home as well and have had issues like that to deal with over the years. Hugs to you! Camille

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in a older mobile home that has been fixed and fixed again over and over in the pass 20 something years, but I'm as you said, very content to be so very blessed as so many in this world have no where to shelter themselves nor their families. Even our Lord had no where to lay his head. We are a blessed people. I have been learning over the pass few years that we can live with so much less than ever though possible. I have always enjoyed visiting your blog. You have made your home very lovely with your graces. Your children are really growing up too. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy, I know its hard when plans change, but God is holding you and your family thru it all. He will provide always.. Will be praying all goes well with your home. And I have to say, I have always dreamed of being a stay at home mom, but that never worked out. It always seemed that Hubby got laid off from his job or we needed insurance and his job didnt offer it. So I think you do a great job at homemaking and your children are so lovely.. and those who have the magazine perfect homes I have met, are miserable people and dont have a clue about whats truly important.. Simple is best....

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy