Monday, September 26, 2016

As September Comes to an End...

 Cooler temperatures have begun to set in here in PA. The days have been full of blue skies and sunshine though..and it is quite warm when standing in the sun! They are calling for thunderstorms this afternoon and I am quite happy with that. It's quite nice to have a change in weather from time to time.

Chris has made great improvements to our simple home over the years...and has really focused on the inside this year. It is wonderful to have such a talented, hard-working husband. I completely adore him! I am hoping, Lord willing, that next year we will have the funds and time to replace the upstairs windows of the house and finish putting the siding on the dormers and front top...



I found mums at Aldi for only $2.99! What a great deal! I put a couple on the front porch and some in my log planter in front of the garage. They haven't completely opened yet but will be stunning when they do...



All five of us have been working hard at preparing for the upcoming winter weather. Chris splits wood most evenings and then the children and I work at stacking it. Hard woods go in the wood shed...



...and soft woods get stacked outside. We have 4 rows (pictured below) so far! The soft wood burns quicker than the hard woods. They are not the best choice...but men who cut down trees for a living offered the wood to us for free (they even bring it and leave it in our yard for us!) so we won't say no to free wood!


It makes the yard look a bit crazy...all these logs and stumps laying around....but that's okay. I am truly grateful to have the wood! It's glorious to stay warm and toasty throughout the winter!


The children have their tree swings up....they have so much fun swinging on them...


We had a fire pit/cook out area in the woods behind our house. We haven't used it for years though and it had grown over with ferns and weeds. The boys decided they wanted to clean it out...so they did! They made a clearing through some of the wood...


They mowed and weed-eated and raked and more. Everything is a bit rugged....some of the seating needs placed and the one bench/table will probably turn into fire wood...but that's okay! The boys were just so thrilled to have gotten it so cleared and tidy! I was impressed at what a good job they did too!


They re-did the fire pit stones...


You can see more logs in the background for us to cut, split and stack...


A view of our house from back in the cookout spot!


The days are full of schooling, walks/runs (for exercise and also to visit the barn cats....I love them!), spin classes, housework, hanging laundry out, grocery shopping, reading, sticker making and more! Oh, I love autumn! I'm so glad it is here! I hope the days seem to last a while as I am not hoping for winter to come crashing in anytime soon! :)

I have to switch laundry and then clean out the fridge (as well as other things that need my attention)....so I best be on my way. Thank you for stopping by!

Warmly,
Katy

Linked up at: Strangers & Pilgrims

5 comments:

  1. Your home is so charming, Katy. I love the style of it. What a sweet blessing to have such a hard working and talented husband...the Lord is so very good to us, isn't He? Yaay for all that wood!! I love a real fire...though we don't heat our home that way, it is lovely to have a fire burning in the evenings when winter sets in. You have so much going on in your home...you are one productive girl! Enjoy these beautiful fall days. Hugs, Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't take the time to comment as I should but I do still faithfully read your post! It is such a blessing to have a hard working hubby. I am grateful that after working 9 hour days Chuck still comes home and takes care of things. I certainly appreciate it! The wood doesn't make your yard look crazy. To me it looks like a working homestead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy I love your mums. They are one of my favorite flowers. Your home is always so cozy looking and I love the way you talk about it and your family. Have a very blessed week. Blessings joann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy, I love visiting your blog because I feel "at home" each time! My Mister is also a hard working man. I always say you can tell the character of a man by his hands. My Mister's hands are strong and show years of hard work. I'm sure your husband's hands are much the same. Good men...

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katy,

    Your boys did a terrific job cleaning up y'alls outdoor cooking area. How proud you must be of their initiative.
    All stacks of wood makes me yearn for the warmth of wood heat - there's nothing like it.

    Blessings to you,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy