Saturday, November 21, 2015

Home & Things


Fall is winding down. It's hard to believe Thanksgiving is next week already! So far, here in Western PA, the weather has been nice...warmer than usual and no snow yet (yippeeeee!). The trees are quite naked and things look pretty dismal outside most days....but I am just not ready for snow (it seems that once it shows up it likes to overstay its welcome...). I have been doing some extra tidying and organizing around the house when time allows. It always makes me feel so good to accomplish things and make my home a more attractive and comfortable place to be.

I organized some of our magazines into a different basket...


And organized the books on *one* (of the many) or our bookshelves (thus why the basket of books in the top picture. I moved some books downstairs that were upstairs in my room and such)...


Winnie...doing what she does best...


Washing dishes is a little more enjoyable when you make sure the water is warm and sudsy and have a candle lit in the background!





We have a busy day at church tomorrow and then I need to make food to take to Thanksgiving with Chris's side of the family. The rest of the week will consist of schooling, housework, sticker-making, spin class, Thanksgiving with my side of the family, and celebrating my niece, Audra,'s first birthday! It should be busy but joy-filled! :) I hope your week is blessed as well!

I leave you with this quote from one of my favorite books:

"The ideal Christian home is a far-reaching benediction. It sets its lamps in the windows, and while they give no less light and cheer to those within, they pour a little beam upon the gloom without, which may brighten some dark path and put a little cheer into the heart of some belated passer-by. Its doors stand ever open with a welcome to every one who comes seeking shelter from the storm, or sympathy in sorrow, or help in trial....It is a place where one who is in trouble may go confident ever of sympathy and comfort.
And this spirit of the home the wife makes; indeed, it is her own spirit filling the house and pouring out like light or like fragrance....To the old she is gentle and patient. To the young she is inciting and helpful. To the poor she is God's hand reached out. To the sufferer she brings strength. To the sorrowing she is a consoler. There is trouble nowhere near but her face appears at the door and her hand brings its benediction."

~J.R. Miller, Homemaking

As always, thank-you for visiting! May your week be filled with thankfulness and joy with loved ones!
Warmly,
Katy

7 comments:

  1. I love the quote! I am going to have to get that book! Thanks for sharing!

    Grace & Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a lovely quote. May you and your family have a wonderful and blessed a Thanksgiving. Tell your niece happy birthday from me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings, So glad that we are all having an Indian Summer...
    Just wanted to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!
    I always have enjoyed the Mother Earth Magazine, and the kitty was created to cat nap...
    Always, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Katy,

    We have also had an unseasonably warm autumn up here on the Montana prairie. Like Pennsylvania, our trees are completely bare, hay grasses browned and looking forlorn without the white blanket of snow.
    Thanks for sharing the lovely quote from J.R. Miller on homemaking.

    We pray you and your beautiful family enjoy a most blessed Thanksgiving,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading the quote, I bought the Kindle version of JR Miller book. I am LOVING it so far! I wish I had read it early in my marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quote your shared, Katy! Love it! :) And, your home always looks so cosy and welcoming....I could just snuggle into that couch for a visit over coffee. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! Hugs, Camille

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy