Sunday, July 16, 2017

..::SIXTEEN::..


If you have been following my blog for a while (or maybe since the beginning over 10 years ago...WOW!) then you have watched my girl grow up! She turned 16 this past week. My husband and I are blessed to have her as our daughter! 

We don't do big birthday parties every year...but I promised her one for her sixteenth birthday! So, Saturday night...we  had a lovely gathering of family and many of her friends. Madelyn did not just sit back and expect the party be thrown *for* her...she dug right in. She helped make food, purchased things that she wanted for it and was a great help!

 She bought enough glow sticks for her friends...


We had a board for her friends to write messages and such to Madelyn on!


It worked perfectly! Her friends had it all filled up with drawings, autographs, messages and love (I didn't take a picture of it finished....but it is now hanging in Madelyn's room!)...


We threw the party at Pa's pavilion. It's super windy back there so I had quite a time trying to get the table coverings on...starting with scotch tape then moving on to duct tape!!


Because it is so windy (and glaring sun as it sets in the evenings) Chris and our Brother-In-Love hung up a couple tarp signs that they had (I have no idea where they got them). They aren't pretty....but they really help block the wind and sun when necessary! They also help if it starts to rain! So that is the reason for that ugly tarp in this picture...haha! I took this photo though to show the bags of chips hanging up...they were for walking tacos. The party was themed around Madelyn's favorite things...(she loves tacos, macaroni salad, potato salad, mint flavored things, pierogies etc.). Walking tacos are made when you open a bag of doritoes and add meat, cheese, lettuce and other toppings in it and eat! :)



Friends and family arrived, Chris prayed, and the party began!


See those flower balls above? Madelyn made those! :) It was a pinterest find!



 Madelyn also loves cranberries and chocolate...and mint M&M's!



There's Pa (Chris's dad) in the red..and my dad beside him...




Christian friends are such a blessing. They are not perfect....but the acceptance and kindness they all share for each other is just wonderful! I am thankful my children have such great friends (Yes...most of them are homeschooled too!)...


 Madelyn wanted Andes candy cupcakes and cake so we made them together! I didn't try it (although I wanted to) but Madelyn said it was the best icing ever! We homemade a mint icing (another pinterest find) and apparently it tasted wonderful with the chocolate cake! Chris made homemade ice cream (everyone's first time trying my Grandpop and Grammie's homemade ice cream recipe) and it was a huge success!! Everyone loved it!!!


Before her party, Madelyn let me know she didn't want anyone to sing to her. It was just too embarrassing for people to all be looking at her. Well, being the silly mama that I am ~ I told everyone how *excited* Madelyn was for us to sing to her!! Her friends all belted out in tune and she was embarrassed (but happy)! :)


Madelyn with her friend Lindsey...


Mad and her friend Abby...


 The kids all played a fun game of kickball!





Madelyn made props for fun pictures! Her friends took advantage of it and had some laughs! Love these girls!



Below: a picture of my Madelyn and me. I know I look rough... The lighting was bad and I was absolutely exhausted (and the party wasn't even over yet!). It was a long day but I had great joy because I know Madelyn had a good time!


There was a fire for hotdogs and s'mores...


 A funny group pic of the teens...


Some of Mad's friends had to work and showed up late so they aren't pictured! But this was the main crew! We are so thankful that they all could come and celebrate with us! We told them gifts weren't necessary but some brought them anyway and completely blessed Madelyn with their kindness! :o)

Thank you for reading this post and sharing in our celebration as well! I am still trying to process the fact that I am the mother of a sixteen year old....I'm not sure when that will sink in! I am incredibly grateful though. *Such* a blessing she is to our lives! We praise God for giving us the gift of Madelyn and the responsibility to raise her up as a daughter of the King! :)

Warmly,
Katy

8 comments:

  1. I have indeed watched her grow up. I don't remember how long I've been reading your blog, but it's been a lot of years.

    Looks like you all had a marvelous time.
    Happy birthday sweet 16!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet young lady you have! Blessings to her on her 16th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 16th birthday and it looks as though you made her day extra special. I am sure she will never forget the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read your blog for years too, and have seen what a lovely young lady she has become. Many blessings to her on her birthday, sweet sweet sixteen!
    May the Lord bless her and keep her safe always and guide her to the life He would have her to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! How fast! I remember her being so young! This is crazy! I have been popping on here for years. I have a 17 year old now. I started around the time you did with blogging. I am glad she had a beautiful day. I love the way everything was decorated and set up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your daughter. It looks like a fun party. God bless. www.merryheartcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What?! I can't believe she is 16!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!
    Visiting from Amber's and am happy to be your newest follower.
    Happy Birthday to your daughter.
    Such a lovely celebration for her!
    Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy