Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Heart of Contentment

Contentment is an inward grace given by God that results in a mindset of being satisfied to stay in your circumstances for as long as God wills.
~Martha Peace, Attitudes of a Transformed Heart

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for He has said 'I will never leave your nor forsake you'.
~Hebrews 13:5
Are you stuck in the sin of coveting what others have? Wishing those things belonged to you...whether it be someone else's husband, children, belongings, hair, body shape (or anything else)...is a wrong longing. It's a desire for something(s) God did not see fit to give to you. It is terribly easy to fall into this "grass is always greener" mentality. I find, for myself, this can be the biggest stumbling point for me. I, without meaning to, can long for things that I have not been given. Wouldn't our lives be so much more enjoyable if we continually had a heart of gratitude for the things we *have* been given and less of a desire for the things we haven't? 
Discontent hearts (which leads to coveting) produces so many horrible things...abortion, divorce, adultery, debt, lies, murder, theft and so much more! Even if you haven't done one of these things...loving and wanting something to the degree of coveting is idolatry and drives us away from our close relationship with Christ. It puts something else before Him. 
But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
~1 Timothy 6:6-10
Just because others can afford certain things, doesn't mean we can. And that's okay. We don't have to have something just because others do. Truly, we all have been blessed...given what we need and more. Our hearts should be focused more on praising God with a thankful heart and sharing with others. This is something we should remind ourselves of constantly. It's so easy to get pulled back into that pit of self-centeredness. 
Through Him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of the lips that acknowledge His name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. 
~Hebrews 13:15-16
As Christians, our greatest need was filled by Christ when He secured our salvation for us by taking our punishment upon Himself. We have been set free from the bondage of sin and need to lead a life of prayer...walking by the Spirit and producing good fruit. This can only happen if we are living a life of contentment...no matter our circumstances. We should live humbly and boast only in our Lord. 
Rather than always trying to be better than each other, and striving to keep up with the "latest and greatest"; let us continually encourage one another in our pursuit of a heart of contentment. Be happy for those who have more...help those who have less and strive to live a life pleasing to God constantly praising Him for what He has (and has not) given you. Sometimes less is more. Sometimes more is great. It's not for us to decide though (thankfully...as knowing our perfect, all-knowing, wise God is in control is so much more comforting to me than if I were in charge of myself!). 
The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.
~Proverbs 16:9
**Let me make this note though....you can still be content while improving things in your life while using tips and tricks from others. Staying organized, focused and diligent in your homemaking and mothering is a wonderful thing. We can *learn* from other people. We can admire qualities others have and emulate them....it's when it crosses the line to extreme desire/longing for their things and their life that it becomes sin. Keeping God at the center of our focus helps us to keep a proper perspective. :) Jesus is our everything! Always remember that!
I hope you find encouragement here. I pray my words have blessed you and admonished you as God would want. I pray He uses me to draw people to a closer relationship with Him and I continue in my walk. 
Thoughtfully,
Katy
It's all about Jesus Christ being first....
and second and third and fourth and fifth. 
 What I'm saying is, don't put Jesus first. 
 Jesus is everything. 
 He's not just first in the rank,
 He is everything. 
~Paul Washer


Linked up with:
Wise-Woman-Builds

5 comments:

  1. It is easy to start desiring to "keep up with the Jones" and fall into discontent. Thank for the great reminder, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katy, I always think we need a bit of a sweet remider to be watchful of the sin of discontentment. We are all in the process of being transformed into His image. If we got all we thought we wanted we would be heavy ladened with stuff. Then we become slaves to things. Your a wise woman in seeing the benifit of being content, and really living it!
    But I do try to keep up with the Jones! LOL
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful reminder! A few of these verses have come to me in different forms lately. I love when God does that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy, my name is Connie and I have been a reader for a while.. I am a country girl from Ky, loving God, my hubby, and my children.. I love your blog, your music bar... so wonderful.. I agree with Contentment, but it is so hard at times.. I have learned that God will give us what we need, in his time... and to look back on all the stuff I used to wish I had, was just stuff...the most important thing for all us to wish for is good health, to be loved by others, and to love and nuture our families... so many are lost with all of this.. but we must lean on God to help us thru.. he only wants what is best for us... Thank you for allowing me to read along.. I do not have a blog, so I hope that was ok.. Have a great day.. Fall is around the bend here in Ky and oh what a glorious sight to see.. a gift from GOD for sure... Have a great evening...

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy