Thursday, April 11, 2013

Disciplines of a Godly Woman

"The Gospel gives meaning to whatever we do, because as gospel women, we are doing it all in the name of the Lord Jesus....the Gospel is the foundation for every single thing you are and do."
~Barbara Hughes, Disciplines of a Godly Woman


I am reading a new book and it is oh-so-fabulous! In ranks *up there* in my list of best books (It reminds me of The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace...if you liked that book, you will love this one!). It is called Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes. I have, I think, at least one sentence (often times way more than that) underlined in it per page (yes, I am one of those people who underline in books ~ you should see my Bible! It's underlined, highlighted and noted!).

"Never lose the wonder of the Gospel! Never imagine you have outgrown it....The Gospel is a woman's first and most important discipline, for it is the source of godliness."
~Barbara Hughes

"The message of the Bible is clear: Jesus Christ is Lord! It's a fact. Bringing our lives into submission to His will in everything is the key to being a Godly woman. It is also the path to joy."
~Barbara Hughes

Just after reading the quotes I have posted from the book probably give you the sense that this book is chock-full of edifying, convicting, truth! I would have to practically write out pages of posts to include all the things I underlined (and I am only half-way through this book!). It really is *that* good. I highly recommend it for those of you women seeking to live a Godly life...striving to be the woman God made you to be. If you need something to go along with your daily Bible reading...this will grow you as a woman of God. It will help mold you and make you...gently. I also feel it equips me with the ability to help other women as I learn. :)


I am striving (and admittedly oft times failing) to speak only words of wisdom. I want to edify, encourage and love others. I desire to be humble and gentle (but strong and firm at the same time). When women are told to be meek...that is not synonymous with timid. Jesus was called meek...and although gentle and loving, He was firm and unwavering in truth. He is the strongest man to ever live! To be meek we should speak truth in love, gentleness, kindness and in all wisdom (gossiping does *not* fit in this category).

"The problem lies in the core of our being and our words are constantly revealing what's there...Over and over again, my words painfully reveal my heart's need of the Gospel and of Christ, Whose words revealed the truth and beauty of His heart."
~Barbara Hughes


"The Gospel humbles us. We admit our own lack of goodness as we submit to the One who is perfectly good and worth of praise....Pride is the attitude of the ungodly. Humility is the hallmark of goodness."
~Barbara Hughes




"The rare jewel of Christian contentment will be yours when all that God is and all that He has done in Christ Jesus fills your heart. We may lack many things in this world, but as Godly women we must work to develop the discipline of contentment. For this is God's will in the Gospel."
~Barbara Hughes


There is housework that is awaiting me. Clean dishes need put away, laundry needs folded and the floors need swept. Although it's a cloudy day, the children have gone out to play since finishing their school this morning and already having lunch. I need to get busy on my duties but just wanted to take a moment to share this book with you. I am so thankful I am a fast typer, otherwise I may have been here typing *forever*! ;) 
I pray you found this post encouraging (the quotes alone should give you a lot to chew on!). If you read (or have already read) this book, I would love to hear your thoughts on it too! :) 
I better go *keep* my home before someone takes the title away from me! ;)
Have a lovely weekend ahead!
Warmly,
Katy

9 comments:

  1. that sounds like a wonderful book! i'll have to check it out! thanks for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is going on my wish list!
    Thank you for sharing this with me.
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Katy...I always love visiting you....I pray God give you the desires of your heart. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a excellent read! Where do you find what books you are wanting to read? Do you type in keywords and then go from there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your post today Katy! Goodness... perfect timing! (: (:
    I'm going to get the book.
    By the way, have you read "The Cost of Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer? It seems like I've also seen an article about him on the Pyromaniacs blog.
    If you've read it (the book); what did you think of it? You guys have a nice, restful weekend as well!

    ((Hugs)) (:

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful book. I always find such peace when I come to visit your blog. Thank you so much. Have a lovely weekend.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did find your post very encouraging! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy, I thank you for sharing this book with me today. I went ahead and purchased it for my Kindle. I look forward to reading it... have a blessed evening :) m.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great book that needs to be read slowly to absorb all the wisdom. Keep blogging and encouraging others.

    " However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace." Acts 20:24

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy