Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Truth in a Time of Questions...

A nativity that belonged to my grandma (who passed away earlier this year) 
and is now being displayed at my inlaw's meat market!

What the unregenerate person desperately needs in order to come to faith is regeneration. This is the necessary grace. It is the sine quo non of salvation. Unless God changes the disposition of my sinful heart, I will never choose to cooperate with grace or embrace Christ in faith. These are the very things to which the flesh is indisposed. If God merely offers to change my heart, what will that accomplish for me as long as my heart remains opposed to him? If he offers me grace while I am a slave to sin and still in the flesh, what good is the offer? Saving grace does not offer liberation, it liberates. This is what makes grace so gracious: God unilaterally and monergistically does for us what we cannot do for ourselves. 
~RC Sproul

"Only the gospel, as it is faithfully and effectively communicated by blood-washed, 
Spirit-filled, biblically equipped believers can both change depraved actions and cleanse a depraved soul." 
Voddie Baucham Jr, The Ever Loving Truth page 196

In light of the recent atrocity that has gone on this past Friday in Newtown, CT...I have debated on posting and on exactly *what* to post if I did. How can one properly put into words anything that could remotely resemble an explanation or answer for such a tragedy? My pastor did just that though this past Sunday and what a blessing it was. Stricter gun laws, more mental health services or interventions are *not* the answer to these sort of terrible things. They are people attempting to merely put a band-aid over an incision. The truth lies at the root of it all...sin. It is truly all of grace that we all aren't murderers. People need to hear the gospel. It is the *only* thing that can change our sinful, depraved selves. 


Before He furnishes the abundant supply, we must first be made conscious of our emptiness. Before he gives strength, we must be made to feel our weakness. Slow, painfully slow, are we to learn this lesson; and slower still to own our nothingness and take the place of helplessness before the Mighty One.
~ A.W. Pink


May you find answers and hope in THIS message. I know I did. God is sovereign and I can rest in that. I pray you can too. 

Knowing the pain others were suffering made my recent incident with a flat tire (stranded, luckily near a McDonald's as this was the very day I forgot my phone in my work out bag and needed to call Chris!) seem much less serious (Jaxson was having a sleepover at Grammie's house)...


While we waited for Chris to save us...we enjoyed and ice cream cone (only 170 cals.).


Finally Chris arrived and was able to patch the hole and fill the tire up. It's working for now...but we had to order a new tire which will come Wednesday.



Great tragedies really put the minor ones in their proper place, don't they?

I know it has been almost a week since I posted last. The days have been busy and I just haven't had the time or thought processes to sit down and write. I hope you haven't given up on me.  

♥ In loving kindness,
    Katy

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katy, It was such a somber week for all of us. I agree with your post, it is sin that kills.
    I think it is a very important point to make to the world is that we will just love deeper and care more. May you have a wonderful and cozy Christmas with those you love.
    Jesus Is The Reason!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you've shared. Christ is the only cure for the cause of such terrible actions.

    Glad you had a warm place to wait for Chris to come fix your tire!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy