Monday, December 8, 2008

Homemade Caramel Popcorn

After a yummy dinner of Chicken/Rice Casserole (a recipe given to me from my friend, Miranda)...the kids and I decided to make some Caramel Popcorn!

Adding all the ingredients......


Waiting for the ingredients to cook on the stovetop....Jaxson and Madelyn went to play but X wanted to stay in the kitchen with me and wait!

My silly boys......
Stirring in the baking soda and vanilla.....

Everyone got turns to do everything and it all went really well! :o)


While the caramel popcorn baked a bit....the older two kids decided to play some checkers! :)

And....tada! The finished product! It was deeeee-licious!!!!! It didn't last long AT ALL!

Here is the recipe if you would like to try it...it is super duper yummy! :o) I might make some to make into caramel popcorn balls as gifts for Christmas! It's a great treat that not many people home-make!

Caramel Popcorn

1 bag microwave popcorn
3/4c. packed brown sugar
6 T. butter
3 T. light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300*. Pop popcorn according to package instructions. Place popcorn in a large baking pan and keep warm in the preheated oven. Discard unpopped kernels. Mix brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt into a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture starts to boil. Continue cooking for 5 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour over the popped popcorn. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from pan and put into a large bowl to cool. Store in airtight container!


This recipe came from a cookbook I have that you can find HERE! I hope you all have a wonderful Monday....and those of you that are handling these cold temps like we are having in PA....stay warm!!!! xoxo

19 comments:

  1. *lol* I saw the title, which was popcorn and then the chicken casserole and I thought 'that popcorn doesn't look appetizing at all'..... until I found out it was chicken ;)

    The REAL popcorn DOES look delicious!

    greetings from the netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Katy! Thanks! I made carmel corn a couple of years ago, but don't have that recipe. I'm so glad you posted this! The kids look adorable...I love M's precious little girly pose in that one! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that first picture and thought, "That's not popcorn!" LOL Anyway, promise me you will post the recipe for the caserole. :)

    Looks like the popcorn making was fun and very successful!

    I forgot to mention a few days ago Katy, keep seeing a chiropractor for your jaw. As far as I know, they can do the most good for it.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got to make the popcorn, my husband would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That popcorn looks so yummy! I am a popcorn freak! I can eat and eat it until I get sick. So goooood. I will have to try your recipe! The casserole looks just a good!

    Yes, Dave Ramsey has made me look at money WAY more different than before. I need to find his radio show on our local am station. I am very excited to save and for our finacial future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see your recipe for the casserole!
    Caramel corn is such a festive sweet treat. Can you send some our way--warm, please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks yummy! I'll have to remember that for Christmas Eve at our house!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMM-O!
    I love caramel corn, I haven't made it in years!
    Just seeing yours makes me want to make it this year!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thoughts as usual....caramel corn is so so good.....you are inspiring me to make some....its great for gifts too...
    yes, the chicken casserole recipe would be nice to have too....please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH YUM! That looks sooooo GOOD! :) Looks like everyone enjoyed takin part in makin it too!

    I might have to try some!


    Have a wonderful day, Katy!

    holiday hugs!

    -Kath

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delish! A friend used to make a pop corn cake. We kids sure did love it. Well to be honest I've always loved popcorn ok well any food! Such sweet kidos you have! Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used to make this all the time when I was growing up. But I cannot find my recipe. I'm so glad you posted this! Now I am wanting some and will hopefully get to make some soon!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! You tried a recipe I gave you..awesome. Odd mixture, huh..but soo good!

    I have all these caramel candies I bought when I was doing some recipes freehand..I think there was a recipe on the back for caramel popcorn..I was like that's a keeper! :)

    Glad you had an nice evening.
    TTYL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks yummy! I love the idea of kids helping in the kitchen. Everyone should learn to cook! Espcially the ones with big bright smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that looks delectable ... and so naughty, Katy! Isn't it fun to make these little goodies with the kiddos? We'll have to try this one some time.

    Hope all's well in PA!

    ReplyDelete
  16. carmel popcorn would make a great christmas treat!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like the kids had so much fun! I have been wanting to try making carmel corn. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so good! Bet the children just loved making that treat, didn't they?

    Christmas Blessings,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE caramel popcorn--I really need to make that this week. YUM!! julie

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy